was born Unknown and died Unknown. He
is the son
of Unknown Deyell and Unknown.
Unknown Unknown was born
Unknown and died Unknown. She
daughter of Unknown.
Unknown Deyell and Unknown
Unknown were married
Unknown Deyell and Unknown (Unknown) Deyell had
at least four children:
- John Deyell:
Born about 1775 in Drum, County Monaghan, Ireland; Died November 21,
1878, in Cavan, Ontario, Canada (age 103). Married Unknown in Ireland to Margaret Rosena Lancashire:
Born 1788 in Ireland; Died June 7, 1866, in Cavan Twp., Newcastle District,
Canada West (about age 78).
- Robert Deyell:
Born Unknown in Drum,
County Monaghan, Ireland; Died
Unknown. His Land Tithe Appointment in 1827 was to Currin Parish,
Drum Townland, County Monaghan, Ireland.
- Samuel Deyell:
Born Unknown in Drum,
County Monaghan, Ireland; Died
Unknown. His Land Tithe Appointments in 1827 were to: Currin Parish,
Drumgrone Townland, County Monaghan, Ireland, and Currin Parish, Curreen
Townland, County Monaghan, Ireland.
James Deyell: Born about 1796 in Drum,
County Monaghan, Ireland; Died
July 1, 1863, in Millbrook, Canada West (age 67). Married to
Ann Unknown: Born about 1802 in Unknown; Died December, 1859, in Millbrook,
Canada West (age 57).
Ontario was known as: "Upper Canada" from
26, 1791, to February 10, 1841;
"Canada West" from February 10, 1841, to July
1, 1867; and
"Ontario" after July 1, 1867.
A quick, abbreviated
history lesson may be required for Needler's Mill in Millbrook. In 1816, John
Deyell came from Ireland and established himself in Cavan. Beside a little
creek, he and his brother James financed and built a grist mill; and the mill by
the brook gave Millbrook its name. There is also speculation the mill ground
grain for the production of whiskey - hence the name 'Distillery Street'. But no
definitive proof of that type of operation has yet come to light. Deyell's Mill
burnt down in 1857 (a fate of many early mills) and the property was sold to
Walker Needler who, at the time, also owned and operated a grist mill and saw
mill on Baxter Creek in what is now Cedar Valley. Mr. Needler built another
3-storey flour mill on the Deyell site as well as a home, which is still
standing at 7 Anne St. This mill, too, succumbed to fire in 1909, at which time
Mr. Needler dismantled the south half of the mill in Cedar Valley and moved it
to the Mill Pond site. Needler's Mill is the last remaining mill in the Township
and one of only a handful remaining in the Province which is salvageable and
restorable. According to an historical story in the Peterborough Examiner in
1958, the mill turned out a fine quality flour with the trade name "White Rose".
The flour was sold in local grocery stores and in Peterborough. In 1967 the
property was sold to the Otonabee Region Conservation Authority (ORCA) who were
interested in preserving the water levels. They had also hoped to restore the
mill the cooperation of the Millbrook Council of the day. ORCA still owns the
Mill to this day.
settlement were excellent in 1817 when the first pioneers ventured into this
area of sandy loam and clay. According to these early arrivals, the township
consisted of forest and swamp, well watered by swift, clear, streams
providing numerous potential sawmill sites. In 1820, one of the first,
called Deyell Mill after owners James and John Deyell, was built on Baxter
Creek at Millbrook's present location. Later, in 1828, James Deyell acquired
some 200 acres in what would become the heart of the village. In the same
year, the widow Elisabeth Johnston applied for a license "to establish a
Tavern and House of Entertainment near Deyell's Mills." It appears that both
a grist mill and a sawmill had been established on the original dam,
attracting farmers from far and wide. The Deyells remained important in the
village, becoming important businessmen and developing more land in the
1860s. Today, the restored Needler Mill stands beside the original Deyell
mill pond, which continues to be known as The Mill Pond.
The community of Millbrook derives its
name from the original mill and dam at the site, built in 1816 by brothers John
and James Deyell. That first mill burned down in 1857 and the prime property was
sold to Walker Needler. Needler, who owned a mill on Baxter Creek near Cedar
Valley, rebuilt the Millbrook mill and operated it until it burned down in 1909.
At that point, the Cedar Valley mill was partially dismantled and a section of
it was moved to Millbrook, where it still stands. In 1967, the mill and dam were
sold to the Otonabee Region Conservation Authority. It's the last surviving
grist mill in Cavan Monaghan and one of the few remaining in the province.
3.1 Cavan Monaghan Township:
The area that is now known as Cavan
Monaghan Township was once a vast area of forest and swamp land, which was
initially settled in 1817 after the surveying of Samuel G. Wilmot (Brown,
1990). Wilmot surveyed the land, marking out the limits of the then unnamed
township and dividing the area into lots and concessions for future European
settlement (Brown, 1990). Prior to the annexation of land by the British, in
1792, and the arrival of Wilmot, the region was untouched by Europeans and
considered Indian Territory. The native‟s continued to live, hunt, gather
and trap in the area throughout the nineteenth century, although eventually
deserted the region completing with the turn of the century (Brown, 1990).
The population of the township grew rapidly following the division into lots
and concessions and the immigration of European settlers to the area. The
population in 1819 was a reported 244 and by 1835, the populated grew to
2,575 residents, made up of primarily Irish tenant farmers who had the
opportunity to own and work their own piece of land (Brown, 1990).
The region became a flourishing
agricultural based township early on, and by the 1830‟s taverns and grist
and sawmills had begun to develop. There were five main established taverns
in the townships nearing the end of the 1920‟s and many others had opened
briefly in the following years, although rarely succeed for more than a few
years (Brown, 1990). Mills also began to play a crucial role in the economic
development of the township, most notably in Cavan and Millbrook. The
development of these mills opened many doors for the surrounding
communities, often creating jobs within the region and making the
necessities of life more accessible (Brown, 1990). In addition, the
increased technology that came with the mill made the development of
commercial buildings, homes and barns much easier.
The Township of Cavan Monaghan has a
rich history of settlement and development within the Peterborough region,
making it very unique from other regions. A considerable amount of the
community is built upon the heritage discussed above, and therefore it is
important to document these elements so they are not lost in transition.
Image 1.1 effectively illustrates the size of the Township of Cavan
Monaghan, highlighting the three hamlets of focus.
The village of Millbrook is centrally
located within Cavan Monaghan Township, stretching three miles long and a
mile and a half wide (Brown, 1990). This rather small village was given the
name Millbrook in 1833, during an adjourned meeting held at Mr. Thomas
Johnson's Inn in Cavan (Brown, 1990). There were thirteen founding fathers
of Millbrook, who each received one hundred acres either from the Crown or
by purchasing the land themselves (Brown, 1990). Initially, the
establishment of the village began with the Deyell Mill. The development of
the Deyell Mill in 1820-1822 was a joint venture between two men, John and
James, one who owned the land and the other who promised to finance the
development (Brown, 1990). The development of numerous other mills followed
in the years to come, including a flax mill, shingle mill, furniture factory
and a planing mill (Brown, 1990). This is a result of the close proximity of
streams to the village, and by the 1850's, numerous businesses had become
well established within Millbrook and the township as a whole (Brown, 1990).
With the increasing development of mills
in the village and the development of the railway from Port Hope, came
drastic change. Eventually, Millbrook became the market town for the
township and began to grow both north and west from the original centre in
the 1830‟s (Brown, 1990). As the population continued to increase as well as
increased technology, significant changes were witnessed to the landscape
including the development of grain storage houses, the extensive building of
churches, the erection of a new school house and eventually the building of
elaborate brick homes that represent the villages great heritage of the late
1800‟s (Brown, 1990). Additionally, the King Street East, or the main
street, began to house a number of well established stores and banks into
the early 1990‟s (Brown, 1990). Today much of this heritage in Millbrook is
preserved, although developmental pressures for the future are threatening
the heritage which Millbrook‟s identity is based upon. Image1.2 below
illustrates the specific areas within Millbrook that were included in the
photographic inventory and incorporated in the analysis of development
Cavan, formerly known as Cavanville, was
first settled in 1817 by John Deyell, who was the assistant of Samuel G.
Wilmot. Wilmot was an experienced surveyor who was chosen to survey new
townships north of Clarke, Hope and Hamilton, which included the, then
unnamed, Cavan Monaghan Township (Brown, 1990). Deyell chose the name for
Cavan and South Monaghan Townships which he named after counties in his
native land of Ireland. Reverend Joseph Thomson settled in Cavan in 1819 and
became the first Protestant minister in the township (Dyer, 1990). Two post
offices emerged in Cavan Monaghan Township on January 6th, 1830, one in
Cavanville and the second in Bailieboro (Bowley, 1990). Many people believed
that Cavan was the centre of the township because business had always been
transacted in the village. A number of industries, including a brickyard,
blacksmiths, woollen mills, tailors, flouring mills, and so on, all
contributed to the well-being of the surrounding farmers and residents
(Brown 1990). However, Cavanville continuously vied with Millbrook to be the
principle community in the Township, and in the end, Millbrook was
successful in this endeavour.
Throughout the nineteenth and twentieth
centuries, Cavan has undergone many changes to its natural and built
landscape. The village remains to be a historical site within the Cavan
Monaghan Township. The Cavan store, Cavan Community Hall, and Maple Leaf
Park are some of the oldest landmarks that are still presently used today.
The historical village of Cavan is an important representation of Cavan
Monaghan Township and therefore is included in this study. Image 1.3 below
effectively displays the area of focus for the photo inventory, which
revolves around the centre of Cavan containing the Cavan store and gas
station.Image 1.3: The hamlet of Cavan in Cavan
Monaghan Township. The area within the yellow area was included in the
photographic inventory and analyzed for development pressure.
December 7, 2012
Dear Mr. Larson:
Deyell Oral History, The Dark Side of
I am David Ellsworth, son of Samuel
Ellsworth, son of Samuel, son of Samuel, son of John Deyell. The following
information was passed by word of mouth down the generations as to the origin of
the conflict between the descendants of James Deyell (the miller) and John
Deyell. I have no way of confirming its veracity. However, if true, it would be
sad if this bit of history were lost: I therefore write it down to you.
John Deyell hired Thomas Harding in the
early years as farm hand. He had a love affair with Margaret, much to John's
disapproval. The issue of this relationship were two children: Thomas adopted by
James Deyell and Mary Jane raised as Margaret Rosena's child ( Margaret's
younger sister ). Margaret herself was at one point disowned by John and for a
time resided with James' family. Thomas Harding fled to New York State. But
further details escape my memory.
Check Margaret's and Margaret Rosena's
ages the year Mary Jane was born. My researches indicate it highly unlikely that
Mary Jane was Margaret Rosena's child.
What follows is only my opinion:
John was regarded as a hard man by
James, and I think rightly so. Although James received 50% of the mill profits,
he was shut out of the land grant to John of 200 acres given to compensate for
mill construction. So, tragically, a kind of feud began between the two
families: James' descendants feeling dispossessed while carrying the family
burdens and John's descendants, while regarding James' lineage as 'impure,'
enjoying title to large properties.
It would indeed be ironic should we
later discover that the Huguenot link is actually through Jane Dodd and not a
Deyell at all! For this would taint our line with one of the greatest forgeries
of all time. And that very line of Dalzell sprung from the loins of slavers
fornicating their slaves. (Benson Dalzell and Susannah Augier ( unmarried
mulatto heiress ) were parents of Robert Dalzell who married Jane Dodd heiress
to the St. Leger fortune.) Indeed, it is also possible that John was descended
from Jacobite (1715) roots who used the Huguenot story as a cover to emigrate to
Ireland, where they had kin, after the Pretender was thrown out of France.
After 1688 the Dalzell name was
despised in Scotland for the atrocities committed both by Robert, Earl of
Carnwath and Thomas Dalyell of the Binns in support of the Episcopal Clergy of
Charles II against the Presbyterians. Both families had property in Ireland.
After unification of Scotland and England Presbyterianism was firmly
established. Many Dalzells changed their names rather than deal with the scorn.
Some used the name King. Others moved to Ireland.
I trust that after five generations,
we, as descendants, can put past animosities behind us and leave the prejudices
of our ancestors buried with them while endeavouring to determine the facts of
our heritage. In that spirit, sir, I salute you for your documenting our family
Canada West Census shows Willm Deyell (age 39) born in Ireland is a married
Farmer and is living in a single story log house in Otonabee Sub District,
Peterborough Co., Canada West. Living with him are: his wife, Mrs. Deyell (age
34) born in Ireland; John Deyel (age 16) born in Canada, an unmarried Labourer;
Margaret Deyel (age 14) born in Canada, unmarried; Robt Deyell (age 12) born in
Canada; Joseph Deyell (age 10) born in Canada; Saml. Deyell (age 7) born in
Canada; Mary Deyell (age 6) born in Canada; William Deyell (age 2) born in
Canada; John Shannon (age 32) born in Ireland, an unmarried Labourer; and
Mrs. Dawson (age 70) born in Ireland, a widow.
James Deyell and Mary
Jane Sloan were married about March 16, 1851, in Cavan Twp., Canada West.
Canada West Census shows William Deyell (age 50) born in Ireland is a married
Farmer and is living in a single story log house in Harvey, Otonabee Twp.,
Peterborough Co., Canada West. Living with him are: a married woman, Mary Deyell
(age 48) born in Ireland; John Deyell (age 23) born in Upper Canada, an
unmarried Lab.; Margt. Deyel (age 22) born in Canada, an unmarried Lab.; Robt.
Deyell (age 19) born in Upper Canada, an unmarried Lab.; Jos. Deyell (age 17)
born in Upper Canada, an unmarried Lab.; Sam. Deyell (age 15) born in Upper
Canada, an unmarried Lab.; Mary J. Deyell (age 12) born in Upper Canada; William
Deyell (age 10) born in Upper Canada; Eliza Deyell (age 9) born in Upper Canada;
and Essy Deyell (age 6) born in Upper Canada.
The 1871 Ontario,
Canada, Census shows Willm. Deyell (age 58) born in Ireland with Bible Christian
religion is a married
Farmer and is living in Otonabee Twp.,
Peterboro Co., Ontario, Canada. Living with him are: a married woman, Mary Deyell
(age 50) born in Ireland; Saml. Deyell (age 24) born in Ontario, an unmarried
Farmer; Mary Deyell (age 21) born in Ontario, unmarried; William Deyell (age 19) born in
Ontario, an unmarried Farmmer; Eliza Deyell (age 17) born in Ontario, unmarried;
and Esther Deyell (age 15) born in Ontario, unmarried.
The 1871 Ontario,
Canada, Census shows John Deyell (age 32) born in Ontario and of Irish Origin is
a married Merchant with C. Presbyterian religion and is living
in Cavan Twp., Durham East Div., Ontario, Canada.
Living with him is Letitia J. Deyell (age 26) born in Ontario, who is married.
Also living there are the following, all unmarried and born in Ontario: Fredrick
J. Deyell (age 4); and May J. Deyell (age 2).
Ontario, Canada Census shows James Deyell (age 40) born in Ontario is
a Head of Household married Carpenter with Canadian Presbyterian religion and is living
in Cavan Twp., Durham East, Ontario, Canada.
Living with him is Elizabeth Deyell (age 30) born in Ontario, who is married.
Also living there are the following, all unmarried and born in Ontario: Ann E.
Deyell (age 19); Sarah J. Deyell (age 15); William J. Deyell (age 13); Mary
Deyell (age 12); and David Deyell (age 10). A widow, Ann Armstrong, and
her family live nearby.
The 1871 Ontario,
Canada Census shows Ann Armstrong (age 38) born in England and of English Origin is
a Head of Household Widow with Church of England religion and is living
in Cavan Twp., Durham East, Ontario, Canada.
Living with her are the following females, all unmarried and born in Ontario,
Canada, with Irish Origin and with Church of England religion: Mary A. Armstrong (age
16); Susan S. Armstrong (age 12); Ida Armstrong (age 10); and Frances C.
Armstrong (age 7).
Elizabeth (Abbey ) Deyell died February 17, 1873, in Welcome, Durham Co.,
Ontario, Canada, at about age 31. She was murdered, but no one was ever
convicted, even though it appeared her husband was the likely suspect.
The 1881 Ontario,
Canada, Census shows William Deyell (age 68) born in Ireland with Bible
Christian religion is a Farmer and is living in Otonabee Twp.,
Peterborough East Dist., Ontario, Canada. Living with him are: Mary Deyell
(age 64) born in Ireland; Samuel Deyell (age 35) born in Ontario; Mary Ann Deyell (age
29) born in Ontario; and Esther Deyell (age 24) born in Ontario.
Ontario, Canada, Census shows Robert Deyell (age 55) born in Ontario is
a Head of Household married Farmer with Canadian Presbyterian religion and is living
in Cavan Twp., Durham East District, Ontario, Canada.
Living with him is Ann Jane Deyell (age 50) born in Ireland, who is married.
Also living there are the following, all unmarried and born in Ontario: Emma Deyell (age
21); Anna Deyell (age 14); James Deyell (age 21), a Farmer; Robert Deyell (age
19), a Farmer's son; David Deyell (age 16), a Farmer's Son; and John Deyell (age
William Deyell died February 22, 1883, in Otonabee
Div., Peterborough Co., Ontario, Canada, at age 70.
(age 39) a Bachelor born in Cavan Twp., and Annie Deyell (age 32), a Spinster
born in Cavan Twp., were married June 16, 1898, in Cavan Twp., Durham Co.,
Ontario, Canada. His parents: Francis Gray and Elizabeth Gibson. Her parents:
Robert Deyell and Ann Jane Brown.
1891 Ontario, Canada, Census taken on April 6, 1891, shows Robert Deyell (age
65) born in Ontario is a Widowed Head of Household Widowed Laborer with Presbyterian religion and is living
in Cavan Twp., Durham East District, Ontario, Canada.
Living with him are his children, all unmarried and born in Ontario: James
Deyell (age 31), a Shanty Man; Robert Deyell (age 29), a Shanty Man; David Deyell (age
27), a Shanty Man; Emma Deyell (age 34); Ann Deyell (age 24).
The 1891 Ontario,
Canada, Census shows Samuel Deyell (age 45) born in Ontario to Irish-born
parents with Methodist religion is a married Farmer and is living in Otonabee Twp.,
Peterborough East Dist., Ontario, Canada. Living with him are: a married woman, Mary
(age 39) born in Ontario to Irish-born parents; Mary Deyell (age 9) born in
Ontario to Ontario-born parents; Burton Deyell (age 7) born in Ontario to
Ontario-born parents; Margery Deyell (age 5) born in Ontario to Ontario-born
parents; Essie Deyell (age 2) born in Ontario to Ontario-born parents; Annie Deyell (age
2/12) born in Ontario to Ontario-born parents; his widowed mother, Mary Deyell (age
74) born in Ireland to Irish-born parents; and two unmarried Servants.
1901 Ontario, Canada, Census shows John Grey (age 41) born December 28, 1859, in
Ontario is a married Head of Household Farmer with Presbyterian religion and is living
in Cavan Twp., Durham East District, Ontario, Canada.
Living with him is his wife, Anna Grey (age 34) born May 6, 1866, in Ontario.
Also living there are the following, both born in Ontario: his son, Lawarance J.
Grey (age 1) born October 6, 1899; and his widowed Father, Robert Deyell (age
80) born December 10, 1820, a Retired Farmer.
The 1901 Ontario,
Canada, Census taken on April 16, 1901, shows Samuel Deyell (age 55) born August
25, 1845, in Ontario and of Irish origin with Methodist religion is a married Farmer and is living in Otonabee Twp.,
Peterborough East Dist., Ontario, Canada. Living with him is his wife, Mary A. Deyell
(age 49) born April 25, 1851, in Ontario and of Irish origin. Also living there
are his unmarried children, all born in Ontario and of Irish origin: Mary S. Deyell (age
19) born October 3, 1881; William B. Deyell (age 17) born September 18, 1883;
Maryana T. Deyell (age 15) born September 27, 1885; Essie L. Deyell (age 12)
born May 26, 1889; and Annie E. Deyell (age 10) born February 1, 1891. Also
living there is his widowed mother, Mary Deyell (age 84) born May 11, 1816, in
Ireland and of Irish origin and having immigrated in 1816. Also living there are
his unmarried niece and nephew, both born in Ontario and of Irish origin: Jane
Sedwick (age 33) born December 21, 1868; and Samuel N. Brown (age 5) born August
Mary (Shannon) Deyell died September 29, 1901, in Otonabee Div., Peterborough Co., Ontario,
Canada, at age 86.
Deyell - A Profile
name has been traced back to the French Huguenots who were compelled to flee
from Continental Europe in the 15th and 16th centuries because of religious
persecution. The original spelling of the name was "Dalziel" and the use of
that name continues in Scotland where some of the family migrated in those
times of hardship. Another branch of the family went to Ireland where the
name became changed to Deyell. Strangely enough, the earliest census rolls
in Cavan Township shows not only the name of John Deyell but also that of
Alexander Dalziel. It is noted that the early assessors and enumerators used
their own judgement in spelling and the customary Deyell was sometimes
written as Dyall or alternatively Dayall.
John and the "Iron Duke".
of Ireland lived at Drum, County Monaghan, and it is known that the family
consisted of three brothers: John, Robert and Samuel. As far as is known,
John is the only one to have come to Canada. He first came in 1812 and
fought against the Americans at Queenston Heights under General Brock.
Surviving that war he returned with his regiment to Europe and fought at
Waterloo in 1815 under the Duke of Wellington. An interesting sidelight
reveals that a couple of his grandsons were named Wellington usually
abbreviated to Wellie. No doubt this happened because of his high regard for
the great Duke and the stories and legends of John's military service were
passed on to his sons.
Survey of Cavan
was born at Drum, Ireland in 1775; and died in Cavan, November 21, 1878 - an
amazing lifetime of 103 years. He married Margaret Lancashire and they came
to settle in Canada in 1816 with their eldest son William. They were the
first white settlers in what is now known as Cavan Township. He took up land
on Lot 23, Concession 3, where he raised his family. His house, still in
good repair, stands on this property on Highway 28. His wife, Margaret, who
bore him five sons and four daughters, died in June 1866. Deyell assisted
Mr. Willmot in making the first survey of Cavan and South Monaghan Townships
and had the privilege of naming both these townships after the counties of
the same name in his native land.
operated the first lodging house between Port Hope and Peterborough, called
Centreville Hotel, owing no doubt to its being located just halfway between
the two towns. Over the door of his inn he placed his personal motto: "Live
and Let Live" which became his sobriquet. An earlier writer, in discussing
the life of John Deyell, posed the interesting question, "What would people
us if they named us according to our characteristics?"
donated an acre of his land for the first schoolhouse which later became the
site of the present Centreville Presbyterian Church and Cemetery. He
established the first grist mill in Millbrook - which gave the village its
name: the Mill on the Brook. He is said to have procured a boulder from the
field and had a stonemason dress it into a millstone. The story is told that
John Deyell, wanting to buy a piece of land in Smith Township at Fowlers
Corners, was informed that a neighbour was also interested in the same
property. One day, seeing the neighbour drive past and suspecting that he
was going to make the purchase, John hastened on foot cross-country to the
corners, closed the deal and was leaving the property as the neighbour
arrived. That property, being Lot 1, Concession 3, Township of Smith,
remains in the Deyell name to this day.
is an abbreviated summary of the sons and daughters of John Deyell and
(born in Ireland), settled in Otonabee Township and married Mary Shannon.
settled in Millbrook and married a Lang.
settled in Smith, at Fowlers Corners, and married Sarah Burgess.
settled in Ops Township and married Letitia Stenson.
settled in Cavan and married 1) Esther Stenson and, 2) Nora Mahony.
6. Essie -
Otonabee and Peterborough, married 1) Thomas Ryan, 2) Thomas Barrie.
7. Ellen -
Cavan, married James Hutchison.
- Cavan, married Joseph Armstrong (Bailieboro).
Jane - Cavan, married Robert Lancashire.
and his immediate family are, of course, long gone but the name goes on in
his grandchildren and succeeding generations. There are still Deyell
settlements in all the townships in which John's children settled and, over
the years, his descendants have, no doubt, scattered over the entire
continent, if not beyond. As a society dedicated to preserving
our heritage, we can all be
proud to claim John Deyell as our earliest pioneer and to share this pride
with his descendants.
A Memorial Window
An appropriate stained glass window at the west end of
Centreville Presbyterian Church, facing the doors by which the worshippers
enter, is a memorial to John Deyell and his wife, Margaret Lancashire.
Installed by his descendants, to dedicate the memory of his toil, friendship
and the hardships of pioneer life. Depicted in its richly coloured panels
are motifs of an early pioneer farm and various household articles, among
them the Holy Bible, which the early settlers brought with them to their new
* Appreciation is hereby extended to Mrs. Clarence Drain,
Peterborough, who provided the bulk of the material which enabled me to
provide this brief synopsis of John Deyell.
1. William Deyell
(born March 11, 1813, in Monaghan, Ireland), settled in Otonabee Township and married Mary Shannon.
Margaret Deyell was born
August 9, 1833, in Cavan Twp., Upper Canada, and died June 24, 1903, in Cavan
Twp., Durham Co., Ontario, Canada (age 69). She had paralysis of 12 years. She
is the daughter of
John Deyell and Mary Unknown. Married
March 7, 1851, in Cavan Twp., Wentworth Co., Canada West, to James Fisher: Born
June 2, 1829, in Cavan Twp., Durham Co., Upper Canada; Died December 16, 1909,
in Cavan Twp., Durham Co., Ontario, Canada (age 80). Son: Douglas Fisher: Born
September 14, 1856, in Ontario, Canada West; Died September 12, 1933, in Cavan
Twp., Durham Co., Ontario, Canada (age 76). Married to Unknown. Son: Frederick
Fisher: Born January 25, 1863, in Ontario, Canada; Died April 16, 1935, in
Ottawa, Nepean Twp., Carleton Co., Ontario, Canada (age 72) A Veterinary
Surgeon. Married to Unknown.
John James Fair (age 24) and Matilda Jane Fisher (age 18) were married June
30, 1875, in Northumberland and Durham Co., Ontario, Canada. He was a Bachelor
Farmer and she was a Spinster. His parents were James and Mary Fair. Her parents
were James and Margaret Fisher.
John James Fair died February 23, 1881, in Cavan Twp., Durham Co., Ontario,
Canada, at age 30. Cause of death was Consumption about one year.
Matilda Jane (Fisher) Fair married William Elliot February 7, 1883, in Bervie,
Matilda Jane (Fisher) (Fair) Elliot married James Douglas Byers in 1888.
Elizabeth Ann Fisher was born 1853 in South Monaghan, Canada West, and died
February 16, 1884, in Canada. Married March 8, 1870, in Northumberland and
Durham Co., Ontario, Canada, to James Douglas Beyers (1845 - 1923). Her parents
are John and Susan Fisher.
John DEYELL and Margaret Rosena LANCASHIRE
(1788 Ireland - June 7, 1866, Cavan Twp., Ontario, Canada) married and moved from
Ireland to Ontario in about 1816.....first son William DEYELL born March 11,
1813 in Monaghan, Ireland and children Robert, Samuel, John, Thomas, Essie,
Eliza, Margaret, and Mary Jane were born in Ontario.....any connections let me
know. I have a lot to share!
Mary SHANNON was born in 1816 in Enniskillen, Ireland (Fermanagh
Mary's father had married again and Mary was unhappy at home with her
step-mother and so when her older brother, John SHANNON, came home for a visit
she went back to Canada to work at John DEYELL's home at Cavan Township
(Ontario). She married John's eldest son, William DEYELL on May 17, 1836. John
SHANNON then went to the USA and married, had a son born in 1845. When John
became ill, he returned to his sister's house and died at her home in Otonabee
Township, Ontario. His wife and son were never heard from after his return to
Mary SHANNON had 3 nieces in Ireland by name of BURGESS that came out to their
Aunt Mary's with John SHANNON on a later trip. They were all married in Canada.
Sarah BURGESS married Samuel DEYELL on March 25, 1851 at the St. Paul's
Presbyterian Church. Annie BURGESS married Mr. MACKERAL-PETROLIA. Janet
BURGESS married Mr. SUMMERVILLE PETROLIA, or SARNIA.
Mary SHANNON's father was a man of money, but all the wealth went to Mary's new
step-sister. Mary SHANNON had many beautiful clothes and fine things that
indicated having lived in a home of money and culture.
Will list some of DEYELL and STEWART info., have lots to
share and would love to
connect with someone out there!!
John DEYELL married Margaret LANCASHIRE in Ireland (?) and had children as
William born in Drum, Monaghan Cty. Ireland in 1813
M: Mary SHANNON in Ontario, Canada
(FAMILY MOVED TO ONTARIO IN ABOUT 1816, lived in Cavan, Otonabee, S. Monaghan,
Ops-Lindsay, Smith Townships)
Robert M: Unknown LANG
Samuel M:Sarah BURGESS
John M:Letitia STENSON
Thomas M: 1. Esther STENSON 2. Norah MAHONEY
Essie M: 1. Thomas RYAN 2. Thomas BARRIE
Eliza M: James HUTCHINSON
Margaret M: Joseph ARMSTRONG
Mary Jane M: Robert LANCASHIRE
They all remained in the listed townships above and had families there...would
like to know more about their children....just have a list of names only for the
most part....will check those lists for any connections.
R. A. DEYELL
Robert Archibald Deyell, the subject of this sketch, was born on Maple Leaf
Farm, Otonabee, seventy-nine years ago, and died at his home on Crystal Stream
Farm, in the same township, on Saturday afternoon, Dec. 27th, 1919.
This excellent character was converted to God in early manhood, united with the
Bible Christian church in the year 1862, conformed to the "Union" later, and
joined the Methodist church of Canada, of which he remained a faithful and
worthy member and official until a few days ago, when he passed up to the church
In the year 1870 he was united in marriage to Miss Letitia Stewart, daughter of
Mr. Richard Stewart of Otonabee, and this happy union was blessed by a family of
twelve sons and daughters, seven of whom, with the sorrowing widow, survive him.
The following members of this family mourn his demise: Mrs. James Chambers of
Peterborough, Mrs. Wm. Hanbridge, Mrs. Bruce Hord, and and Mr. Ward Deyell of
Otonabee, Mrs. Fred Deyell, Mrs. Bert McPhinnie, and Mr. Roland Deyell of
Frobisher, Saskatchewan. Two brothers and two sisters also survive him, namely:
Mrs. Robert Handridge of Otonabee, Mrs. Jas. Ruth and Mr. Samuel Deyell of
Peterborough, and Mr. Wm. Deyell of Lindsay.
Robert Deyell was one of the most widely known and highly respected citizens in
the county of Peterborough. His voice, like a trumpet, ever rang out clear and
strong against evil of all kinds. We do not know his politics, but his
principles were well known to all who knew him. He was a giant for truth,
temperance, righteousness and peace. He was true, fearless, transparent and
kind, and to know him was to esteem and trust him. This model of sterling
integrity died in the harness, Worshipping in the house of God on Sabbath, with
his soul on fire with holy unction; becoming seriously ill on the following
Thursday night and closing his eyes in death on Saturday afternoon. It is true
he was frail in body, but his mental and spiritual faculties shone with
full-orbed glory till the last, and he passed away in the triumphs of faith.
The funeral service, held at his late residence on Tuesday afternoon, Dec. 30th,
was largely attended, and the remains of him who was and is one of "God's
noblemen" sleeps in Little Lake cemetery, awaiting the sumons that shall call
the sleeping dust of mortality back to reanimation and eternal life.
The mortal shall rest by the river to-night;
The immortal watch from the portals of light,
And beckon you coming, and linger, and wait
To meet you, and greet you by yon pearly gate.
Rev. G. E. Ross.