Victor George Edward Fiegel

Victor George Edward "Vic" Fiegel was born October 16, 1910, in Little Rock, Pulaski Co., AR, and died November 9, 1985, at Holton Manor Nursing Home, Elkhorn, Walworth Co., WI, at age 75. Buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI. He is the son of Victor Adam Fiegel of Austin, Travis Co., TX, and Mary Alden Wylie of Hensley, AR.

Helen Means Bickett was born August 28, 1912, in the Village of Yellow Springs, Miami Twp., Greene Co., OH, and died October 25, 1988, at Lakeland Hospital, Elkhorn, Walworth Co., WI, at age 76. Buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI. She is the daughter of LeRoy McVey Bickett of Xenia, Greene Co., OH, and Gertrude Pearl Patricia Baker of the Village of Yellow Springs, Miami Twp., Greene Co., OH

Victor George Edward "Vic" Fiegel (age 28), a bachelor, and Helen Means Bickett (age 26), a maiden, were married October 16, 1938, in the City of Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI.

Victor George Edward "Vic" Fiegel and Helen Means (Bickett) Fiegel had three children:

  1. Victor Kirt Fiegel: Born January 11, 1942, in Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI. Married August 13, 1966, at Naval Station, Long Beach, Los Angeles Co., CA, to Dixie Lee Daacon: Born February, 1943, in Dubuque, Dubuque Co., IA.
  2. Alan Thomas Fiegel: Born October 25, 1945, in Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI; Died January 3, 1948, in Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI (age 2). Buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI.
  3. Edward Todd Fiegel: Born September 4, 1954, at St. Mary's Hospital, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI. Married (1) July 23, 1977, in Waukesha Co., WI, to Ann Leslie Stevens: Born October, 1954, in Toledo, Lucas Co., OH. Divorced June 13, 1983, in Zanesville, Muskingum Co., OH. Married (2) July 21, 1988, in Dane Co., WI, to Susan S. "Sue" Rowe: Born April 2, 1948, in Unknown. Ann Leslie (Stevens) Fiegel then married Eugene Ralph Guszkowski Jr.: Born about 1948 in Unknown. Ann is the daughter of Edward P. Stevens of Toledo, Lucas Co., OH, and Barbara A. Shanks of Toledo, Lucas Co., OH.



Victor George Edward "Vic" Fiegel, Helen Means (Bickett) Fiegel, and their son Alan Thomas Fiegel, are buried in the Bickett/Fiegel plot in Oak Hill Cemetery, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI.

Gertrude Pearl Patricia "Gertie" Baker was born February 10, 1880, in the Village of Yellow Springs, Miami Twp., Greene Co., OH.

The 1880 U. S. Census taken on June 28, 1880, shows William P. Baker (age 40) born in Ohio to Pennsylvania and Ohio-born parents is a House Painter living in the Village of Yellow Springs, Miami Twp., Greene Co., OH. Living with him is Helen M. Baker (age 34) born in Silesia to Silesia-born parents. Living with them are Baker children, all born in Ohio to Ohio and Silesia-born parents: Albert M. Baker (age 2); and Gertrude P. Baker (age 4/12). Also living there is William's brother-in-law, Charles Gerhardt (age 15) born in Ohio to Silesia-born parents.

The 1880 U. S. Census taken on June 9, 1880, shows George Bickett (age 28) born in Ohio to Ohio-born parents is a Plumber living on Hinling Street, 3rd Ward, City of Xenia, Xenia Twp., Greene Co., OH. Living with him is his wife Elizabeth Bickett (age 27) born in Ohio to Ohio-born parents. Also living at home are their children born in Ohio: Arnold Bickett (age 4); and Maud Bickett (age 2). Also living there was a boarder, William Simons (age 25) who was a Coal Merchant. Leigh Larson note: William Simons is the brother of Ruth Elizabeth (Simons) Bickett.

Leroy McVey "Roy" Bickett was born May 1, 1883, in Xenia, Xenia Twp., Greene Co., OH.

The 1900 U. S. Census taken on June 14, 1900, shows George M. Bickett (age 48) born September 1851 in Ohio to Ohio-born parents is a Plumber married for 24 years living in his own home in Xenia, Xenia Twp., Greene Co., OH. Living with him is his wife Ruth E. Bickett (age 47) born in Ohio to New York-born parents, with 5 of her 6 children still alive. Also living at home are all five of the living children, all unmarried and born in Ohio: Arnold R. Bickett (age 23) born August 1876, not employed and can not read or write; Maud F. Bickett (age 22) born February 1878 and not employed; Leroy Mc Bickett (age 18) born May 1882 and is a Blacksmith; Manley E. Bickett (age 14) born September 1885; and Dora A. Bickett (age 11) born August 1888.

The 1900 U. S. Census taken on June 6, 1900, shows Clara M. Harrigan (age 29) born October 1870 in Wisconsin to Swedish-born parents with 2 of the 3 children born to her still living and having Inherited Income is a divorcee owning her own home free of a mortgage and living in Amherst, Portage Co., WI. Living with her are her children, both born in Wisconsin to English Canadian and Wisconsin-born parents: Winnefred M. Harrigan (age 7) born August 1892; and Wesley W. Harrigan (age 4) born September 1895.

Mr. Bickett became identified with the rubber industry in 1908.

The 1910 U. S. Census taken on April 16, 1910, shows Geo. M. Bickett (age 57) born in Ohio to Ohio-born parents is a Plumber in a Shop married for 35 years living in his own home at 242 South Chestnut Street, Xenia, Xenia Twp., Greene Co., OH. Living with him is his wife Ruth E. Bickett (age 56) born in Ohio to New York-born parents, with 5 of her 6 children still alive. Also living at home are all five of the living children, all unmarried and born in Ohio: Arnold R. Bickett (age 34) and not employed and can not read or write; Maud F. Bickett (age 32) and not employed; LeRoy M. Bickett (age 26) is a employed in Tire Repairing in a Shop; Earl M. Bickett (age 24) and not employed; and Agnes Bickett (age 21) who is a School Teacher in a Public School.

The 1910 U.S. Census taken on April 29, 1910, shows Marie H. Baker (age 64) born in Germany to German-born parents and emigrating in 1865 with 2 of her 4 children still alive is a widowed head of household owning her home on North College Street, Village of Yellow Springs, Miami Twp., Greene Co., OH. Living with her is her unmarried daughter, Gertrude P. Baker (age 30) born in Ohio to Ohio and German-born parents, who is a School Teacher.

The 1910 U. S. Census taken on April 18, 1910, shows Clara Harrigan (age 38) born in Wisconsin to Swedish-born parents is a divorcee renting her own home and living at 515 Milwaukee Street, 7th Ward, City of Milwaukee, Milwaukee Co., WI. Living with her are her children, both born in Wisconsin to English Canadian and Wisconsin-born parents: Winefred Harrigan (age 17) a Stenographer for Automobiles; and Wesley Harrigan (age 14).

Roy worked at a bicycle shop in Dayton, OH; then as a vulcanizer in a rubber factory in Springfield, OH. In 1911 Roy was a shareholder in the Globe Rubber Company in Dayton, OH. In 1913 or 1914 he formed the Xenia Rubber Mfg. Co. in Xenia, OH after five years of experience with several large rubber manufacturers.

The 1910 U. S. Census taken on April 30, 1910, shows Victor A. Fiegel (age 23) born in Texas to Texas-born parents is a Grocery Salesman owning his own home with a mortgage and living at 3124 Unknown, City of Little Rock, Big Rock Twp., Pulaski Co., AR. Living with him is his wife of two years, May Fiegel (age 21) born in Arkansas to South Carolina and Arkansas-born parents.

Victor George Edward "Vic" Fiegel was born October 16, 1910, in Little Rock, Pulaski Co., AR.

LeRoy McVey "Roy" Bickett (age 28), a bachelor, and Gertrude Pearl Patricia "Gertie" (Baker) Anderson (age 31), an annulee, were married June 8, 1911, in the Village of Yellow Springs, Miami Twp., Greene Co., OH.

Helen Means Bickett was born August 28, 1912, in the Village of Yellow Springs, Miami Twp., Greene Co., OH.

The Xenia Daily Gazette, Xenia, Greene Co., OH, Saturday, September 7, 1912


Mr. and Mrs. Leroy Bickett are the proud parents of a new baby daughter.

In 1914 the Victor Adam Fiegel family moved from Little Rock, AR, to Los Angeles, CA.

The WWI Draft Registration Form dated June 5, 1917,  shows Victor A. Fiegel, born October 30, 1886, in Austin, TX, is living at 137 W. 16th Street, City of Los Angeles, CA. He has a wife and child.

On January 28, 1919, Victor George Fiegel was run over by the wheel of a wagon, and the injuries to his leg kept him hospitalized for four months.

Victor George Fiegel's parents then divorced, and in May, 1919, he and his father, Victor Adam Fiegel, went back to Austin, TX, and young Victor lived with an aunt and uncle in Austin while recuperating from his leg injury.

The 1920 U. S. Census taken on January 15, 1920, shows LeRoy M. Bickett (age 36) born in Ohio to Ohio-born parents, is a Superintendent at a Rubber Factory, and is renting his home, and is living at 604 Farwell Street, Ward 18, Milwaukee, Milwaukee Co., WI. Living with him is his wife Gertrude Bickett (age 39) born in Ohio to Ohio and Prussian-born parents. Also there are his two children, both born in Ohio: Helen Bickett (age 7); and Ruth Bickett (age 3). Also living there is his widowed mother-in-law, Helen Baker (age 75) born in Prussia to Prussian-born parents.

The 1920 U. S. Census taken on January 21, 1920, shows Eugene Fiegel (age 41) born in Texas to Louisiana and Texas-born parents, is a House Carpenter who owns his own home free of a mortgage, and is and living at 2106 E. 19th, 5th Ward City of Austin, Travis Co., TX. Living with him is his wife, Georgia Fiegel (age 39) born in Texas to Texas-born parents. Also living there is Eugene's nephew, Victor Fiegel (age 9) born in Texas to Texas-born parents.

In June 1920, Victor George Fiegel went to live with his father, Victor Adam Fiegel, in Galveston, Galveston Co., TX, where he grew up.

Victor George Fiegel attended a business college in El Paso, TX, in 1929 - 1930.

About 1930, Victor George Fiegel went to Eureka, Humboldt Co., CA, where his mother and stepfather lived, and worked for some time as a dental technician for his stepfather. He enlisted in the merchant marines and made several trips across the Pacific, before returning to Galveston, TX.

The 1930 U. S. Census taken on April 10, 1930, shows Le Roy Bickett (age 46) born in Ohio to Ohio-born parents and first married at age 28 is a manager of a rubber factory who owns his home worth $12,000 and is living at 700 Clyman Street, Ward 9, City of Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI. Living with him is his wife, Gertrude Bickett (age 50) born in Ohio to Ohio and German-born parents, and first married at age 32. Also there are his two children, both born in Ohio to Ohio-born parents: Helen Bickett (age 17); and Ruth Bickett (age 13).

The 1930 U. S. Census taken on April 8, 1930, shows Harry P. Petersen (age 39) born in Denmark to Danish-born parents and first married at age 25 and having emigrated in 1890 and a Naturalized citizen, is a Dentist in his Own Office, and is renting his home for $40/month, and is living at 828 Eighth Street, Alhambra,, San Gabriel Twp., Los Angeles Co., CA. Living with him is his wife, Mae A. Petersen (age 38) born in Arkansas to North Carolina and Arkansas-born parents and first married at age 25, is a Dental Nurse in her Own Office.

The 1932 California Voter Registration Record dated September 29, 1932, shows Victor G. Fiegel is a Democrat, and is living at 3015 F Street, Eureka, Humboldt Co., CA. Also at that address are: Mrs. Lydia Wylie, a Democrat; Mrs. Mabel Hall, a Republican; Harry P. Petersen, a Republican; and Mrs. Mae A. Petersen, a Democrat.

Victor George "Vic" Fiegel and Helen Means Bickett met in Galveston, Galveston Co., TX.

The Galveston Coastal News, Galveston, Galveston Co., TX, Friday, June 25, 1937

To the right are a group of visitors from Wisconsin, who have been spending the week here as the guests of Mrs. W. J. Chapman and daughter, Miss Jean Chapman. Miss Ruth Bickett, standing, and Miss Helen Bickett, seated on the top step, are the daughters of Mr. and Mrs. L. M. Bickett of Watertown, Wis., and the nieces of Mrs. Chapman. They were accompanied by Miss Doris Kaddatz, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. C. Kaddatz, of Watertown, who is seated on the lowest step. Miss Chapman  who is pictured with the group will accompany them when they leave. They will spend a few days in New Orleans before returning home.

Helen Means Bickett.

Victor George Edward "Vic" Fiegel (age 28), a bachelor, and Helen Means Bickett (age 26), a maiden, were married October 16, 1938, in the City of Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI.


Helen Means Bickett, in her wedding dress, with her sister, Ruth Gertrude Bickett, 700 Clyman Street, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI.

Ruth and Helen Bickett, and two others, all smoking! Taken at 700 Clyman Street, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI, at the time of Helen's October 16, 1938, wedding.

The Fiegel newlyweds lived in Galveston, TX, until 1940 when they moved to Watertown, WI, where Vic worked for his father-in-law at the L. M. Bickett Company.

The 1940 U. S. Census taken on May 4, 1940, shows Le Roy Bickett (age 56) born in Ohio and having completed 4 years of High School, and 5 years ago was living in the same house, is a President of Rubber owning his home  worth $1,200 and is living at 700 7th Street, 9th Ward, City of Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI. Living with him is his wife, Gertrude Bickett (age 60) born in Ohio and having completed 4 years of College, and 5 years ago was living in the same house. Also living there are his two married daughters and their husbands: his son-in-law, Wilbert Larson (age 26) born in Wisconsin and having completed 4 years of College, and 5 years ago was living Unknown, CA, a Representative for an Automobile Manufacturer; his daughter, Ruth Larson (age 23) born in Ohio and having completed 4 years of College, and 5 years ago was living in the same house; his son-in-law, Victor Fiegel (age 29) born in Arkansas and having completed 4 years of College, and 5 years ago was living Madison, WI, a Retail Store Salesman; and his daughter, Helen Fiegel (age 27) born in Ohio and having completed 4 years of College, and 5 years ago was living in the same house; 

After World War II began, Vic and Helen moved back to the Galveston area in 1942 and lived in La Marque and Texas City while Vic worked at the Pan-American oil refinery. Helen was a member of the Play Committee of the AAUW in Galveston on November 29, 1942.

Alan Thomas Fiegel was born October 25, 1945, in Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI.

Alan Thomas Fiegel died January 3, 1948, in Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI, at age 2. Buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI.


Alan Thomas Fiegel Oak Hill Cemetery Interment Records.

Kirt Fiegel, about 1948, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI.

Edward Todd Fiegel was born September, 1954, at St. Mary's Hospital, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI.

The Janesville Daily Gazette, Janesville, Rock Co., WI, Wednesday, September 8, 1954

WALWORTH - A son, Edward Todd, was born Saturday to Mr. and Mrs. Victor Fiegel at St. Mary's Hospital, Watertown. The Fiegels have one other son, Kirt, 12.

The Janesville Daily Gazette, Janesville, Rock Co., WI, Friday, May 8, 1956

WALWORTH - A. K. Rubber Products Co. has completed plans to move from Walworth to Elkhorn. The firm will start next week on construction of a 5,600-square foot factory located on W. Centralia street. The move from the R. P. Maxon property in Walworth will be made because of a need to expand floor space and to better shipping facilities. Owner and manager of the company is Victor Fiegel, who established the plant here four years ago, moving from Watertown. All present personnel will continue employment at Elkhorn. The Fiegel family will maintain their home in Walworth.

Vic and Helen returned to Watertown in 1944 and Vic worked at the L. M. Bickett Company until September, 1952, when they moved to Walworth, WI, and started the A. K. Rubber Products Company, on the proverbial shoestring. The company prospered, and in 1956 Vic and Helen bought property in Elkhorn, WI, put up a building, and moved the company there. In the fall of 1957 Vic and Helen themselves moved to Elkhorn. The company was incorporated in 1959.

Helen Means (Bickett) Fiegel and Victor George Fiegel, about 1980.

The Watertown Daily Times, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI, Saturday, June 26, 1954, Centennial Edition

Square Dancers United to Form Do-Si-Do Club in City

In the spring of 1950, five Watertown couples discovered that when each arrived at a square dance somewhere around the vicinity the others were also there. This led to friendship and plans to go to these dances together. One thing led to another, until Mrs. Ted Koerner, Jr. and Vic Fiegel decided it was high time Watertown had a club of its own.

Met in Basement

In May, the Ted Koerners, Les Kaerchers, Bill Dauers and Vic Fiegels started meeting in the Fiegel's basement, usually on the night square dancing was on TV. They bought the few records available in town and went to work - and work it was, with completely unfamiliar calls every few seconds until the familiar “Promenade your Partner”. Slowing down the records and finding an occasional dance duplicated on TV the group really got goin’.” Another couple added to the group was the Art Killians. It was later decided that going to a Milwaukee dance would help the learning process. They attended a dance of ‘Doc’ New land’s (who is one of the present callers) and immediately found out how much they did not know - quote Helen Fiegel, “Were we green!” At any rate this dancing with “Doc” spoiled the other dancing and it was decided there just had to be something better for Watertown and more couples had to get the swing and have the fun of good square dancing. The next few months were spent contacting couples who might be interested, trying to locate a hall, and trying to find a Milwaukee caller who would come to Watertown and start from the bottom with a group who had only enthusiasm as an asset.

Obtained Elks Hall

Sept. 10, 1950 was finally select­ed as the date and 100 couples had said yes they’d come. Vic Fiegel, ruler in hand, spent two weeks measuring halls in town and finally obtained the Elk’s Hall. The next few days were spent al­ternately worrying about not having anyone show up and the original five footing the bill for everything - or on the other hand, being mobbed and not having enough room for the crowd.

The dance was a huge success and 44 couples signed up to belong to the club which Alice Dauer and Edna Kaercher dubbed the Do Ci Do Club when they were sending out the first postal cards to announce the dances. The name was later changed to the Do-Si-Do Club of Watertown, as the Si spelling is the one most commonly used by square dance publications. At first, the club was more or less allowed to run itself by general opinion of what needed doing but it finally seemed necessary to get down to something more businesslike. Vic Fiegel was elected president and Bill Dauer, treasurer, for a series of five dances. However at the end of those five there was enough in the treasury - so a sixth dance was added to the series. Then a new group of volunteers took over the official duties. Thus the club was run until the spring of 1951. It was decided to become a member of the SDAW (Square Dance Association of Wisconsin). This necessitated a set of by-laws and a complete set of officers. First officers of the club were: Ted Koerner Jr., president; William Frish, vice-president; James Wilson, secretary, and Ray Kaercher, treasurer. All officers are elected as couples instead of as individuals. Meetings during the winter months are held on the second and fourth Sundays in Moose Hall. During the summer the group meets on the second and fourth Wednesdays in Riverside Park.

Jamboree Here

As members of the SDAW our first state-wide Jamboree was held in June of 1953 at Turner Hall with a capacity crowd from every part of the state. At that time the club numbered only 18 member couples but earned the enviable reputation of having the SDAW ask when the club would again play host to the state group. This dance was set up for July 2 of this year but cancelled by Do-Si­Do in deference to the centennial plans. Do-Si-Do members are taking an active part in the Centennial: Sister-of-the-Swish Chapter, street demonstration, centurama, old time and square dance at Turner Hall, and Squaring ‘Em Up for the Cavalcade. Also a TV show for one hour over the Madison Station June 19. From its small beginning in the spring of 1950, has come this thriving club of 1954. May it survive and grow through the next century as Watertown itself has done in the last. Hats off to Watertown; may our children and grandchildren see its second hundred years - the first 100 are the hardest.

Officers and Members

The present officers and members of the Do-Si-Do Club are: President, Marion and Barbara Elliott; vice-president, Joe and Maxine Rhodes; secretary, Harold and Ann Smith; treasurer, Fred and Audamae Bucheger; historian, James and Esther Wilson.

The following letter was sent from Helen to her sister, Ruth Larson, in 1973.

Sunday, April 29, 1973

Dear Ruth,

I have been trying to sort out my thoughts ever since we came back from Ohio so I could write a coherent letter and tell you what I found out. It was such an interesting trip and how I wish we could have stayed a day or two longer. Vic was very patient but at the end of two days I knew he'd just about had it, so we started on our way home. Of course we had rain almost all the time we were there.

Monday morning we went to the cemetery at Clifton, which is only three or four miles from Yellow Springs. When we neared Clifton we saw a state policeman walking along the road and asked him directions and he directed us to a filling station for more information. At the time I sort of wondered why we would see a state policeman in that particular place, but from what I heard on the radio as we were driving Wednesday morning I think I know. More about that farther on. We found this old cemetery which they say is still being used but there is no sexton so we couldn't get help in locating specific graves. The cemetery is at the top of a small hill, and when you look at those old, old gravestones and read the dates on them you literally get carried back in time and think of all the history those names represent. Near the road the first stones we found had what we thought said "Mary Bickett, wife of Henry Bickett", and then another Mary Bickett, Henry Bickett, and children's names. We carefully moved weeds away and Vic took a picture of one, and I was quite excited, thinking that proved what I had felt all along, that Bicketts were there earlier than the book said, when we suddenly realized that name was Rickett, not Bickett.

Anyway, we found Baker markers, some of the sons of Thomas and their families, but we did not have time to find Thomas and Sarah, and George, his son and our great-great-grandfather or his wife, which was the one I particularly wanted to find, to get her name, at least her first name because they didn't put maiden names on them. I already have a clue as to her maiden name. We used chalk to bring out the lettering because the stones were so worn. We were really covering the area systematically when the rain started and a very strong wind came up which probably seemed even worse because we were on a hilltop. At the same time we heard two cars with sirens going driving around the countryside, and with all that wind the only thought I had was that it must be a tornado warning. (I heard later other people half expected a tornado, too.) So we decided we had better quit and be on our way, with full intentions of coming back to Clifton.

Wednesday we heard on the radio there had been quite a car chase around the Clifton area, with the police chasing someone who was finally caught. Which probably explained the presence of the state policeman and also the sirens.

We drove back to Yellow Springs and saw the sign "Cemetery Road" across the highway from us in Yellow Springs and thought it would probably take us to Glen Forest Cemetery, so we took it. After we started up that street I remembered Mr. Shaw, the former Glen Forest sexton who had sent me information about the Baker and Bickett lots there, lived on Cemetery St., and there we were, right in front of his house. He was at home and was delighted to come along with us. It was raining pretty hard by that time. I told him I wanted to see about getting Grandmother's grave marked and he said we were in luck, that the present sexton was there as he had a funeral that morning. He sent us off in the right direction and then went home--I guess there's some professional jealousy there.

We found the Baker lot. There are at least three Baker lots, one is our grandparents and one is our great-grandparents', and another that might be a relation but there was too much to do to spend time finding out. Our lot has an enormous stone in the center which says Baker on it, but there are only three graves. One is Ralph W., a baby, and it has a small marker. One is Grandfather Baker's grave, and they have a lovely large stone on that with raised lettering which would cost a fortune now. At the foot of his grave is another marker put up by the G.A.R. because he was a Civil War veteran. Then Mr. Shaw told us he was sure Grandmother's grave was right next to Grandfather's, without any marker.

I had visualized a center stone with a place for all the names of those who were buried there, but such was not the case. We found that the present sexton also sells markers, and since he was busy then we made an appointment for 1:00 Tuesday afternoon to look at literature, and in the meantime he would check on the lot and see what color, etc., he would recommend. So back we went, on Tuesday, and I ended up doing the only thing I could, ordering a stone marker. It is the flat kind like what is used today--it would have been impossibly expensive to match the . one on Grandfather's grave. I believe it is something like 13" or 14" by 24", and is raised about 8" above the ground. It will have on it "Helen M. Baker, 1844-1925". The cost, completely set in place, is $164.00. I had no idea it was going to cost anything like that, before we went to the cemetery, but the grave must be marked, and I am willing to pay it, and if you can give anything toward it, that would be fine. I just saw no other way out of the problem. It will be all in place before Memorial Day, and he will bill me after it is done.

When this was finished it was really raining hard. The sexton told us the Gerhardt graves were near the road and pointed out where to look, but we could not find them from the road in the cemetery, so we did not see them or find the Bickett lot either. The only Bicketts who are buried there are Maude, Arnold, and Ruth. Of course after you get home you think why didn't you look particularly for the Gerhardt lot--maybe our great-grandmother Dorothea Whiele Gebauer Gerhardt is buried there, although that is only a slim chance.

Back to Monday. We returned to Xenia and went to Woodland Cemetery there, and the wife of the sexton was very nice and helpful. We found the Bickett lot which I thought (!) had the graves of our ancestors. I did not see the grave of our grandfather George and I do not know where he is buried.

I then called Marguerite Williams, Mom's friend and former Yellow Springs (LRL note: next door neighbor in 1910 and 17 years younger) neighbor and the one with whom I have exchanged several letters. I told her we would like to take her to dinner that night, but she absolutely refused and said it would be impossible for her to go, as she gets around with a walker. But she would like us to come for a simple supper in her kitchen. But I didn't want her to bother, and we left it that we would come to see her at 7:00 that evening. When we got back to the motel at 5:00 there was a message to call her--she would expect us at 6:15. She's apparently quite strong-willed. So we bought some flowers to take to her, and we went. She is an interesting conversationalist, and she does have strong opinions. She also told me to be sure to thank Mr. Ankeney, a man who lives in Xenia and who hunted up some Baker information for her before she wrote me what information she could. I tried repeatedly to get him on the phone but it was always busy, so I have written him a note. Before we left she gave me a plate which Mom had given Marguerite's sister Florence I don't know when, probably between 60 and 70 years ago. I should have just thanked her profusely and let it go at that, but not me--I immediately said I was going to see that Joyce got that plate, and then had to go into details about who Joyce was, etc. I have also written her how dear Joyce had always been to Mom, and how I felt she would really appreciate it. With the very best of intentions, it's so easy to put one's foot in one's mouth. I could just have given Joyce the plate, and not said anything. Florence was Marguerite's oldest sister and I think about Mom's age (LRL note: 3 years younger).

Monday afternoon I spent at the courthouse, and I found the county records are anything but complete. It is impossible to do anything about correcting Pal's birth certificate since he is no longer alive, even though I had brought his death certificate along and the lady said it very obviously was wrong. So that is that. Also old death records do not give the information the present-day ones do--names of parents, birthplace, etc., but just the name, date of death, cause of death, and I'm not sure whether they give the  age. I found the record of Uncle Earl's birth, and found his first name was Manley, which was a family name in Grandmother Bickett's ancestry. Uncle Manley Simons was a rear admiral, but I haven't yet found out whether the name belongs in her father's or her mother's ancestry. I did find the will of our great-great-great-grandfather Thomas Baker, and the names of all his children and also the names of the four grandchildren who lived with him--our great-grandfather Isaac was one of the grandchildren, and his father George was one of Thomas's sons and died in 1814 from a wound he received in the War of 1812. I did not know the date of our Grandmother and Grandfather Bickett's marriage so I hunted in vain for that, too.

From 1908 on, birth and death records are kept at the Health Department at the hospital, so about 8:30 the next morning, Tuesday, we arrived at the hospital. And they are incomplete--many were sent directly to Columbus, so I have a couple of forms here for requesting information. Then a series of fortunate coincidences happened. A man standing nearby talking with the girls behind the desk heard me asking questions. He followed us outside, and asked what name we were searching for. I told him I would love to find some lady whose maiden name was Bickett, because she might know family history, so he said he knew one and would take us to her house. Also I inquired about the First Baptist Church, for the Simons family went to that church, and he pointed it out. Then he took us to the home of a Mrs. Myrtle Peterson, whose maiden name was Bickett. I introduced myself to her and she said are you from Watertown, Wisconsin, because someone had been in Watertown one time and reported there were Bicketts there, and a rubber factory. She had records and we compared them, and I found out the name of the town in Pennsylvania where William R. Bickett and John Henry Bickett were born, in other words I have located the Coaquilla Valley, and when I looked at the Pennsylvania map for Lewistown I found a Reedsville and a McVeytown nearby. So research on that county should prove very interesting. Anyway, I told her our great-grandfather was Adam Reed Bickett, son of William R. Bickett, and she said she had never heard of him, and she was descended from William R. Bickett. There was an Adam R. who was her grandfather's brother, but they called him Uncle Reynolds. So I figured he must have preferred that to Adam, and let it go at that.

I went to the First Baptist Church, and the minister was extremely courteous and obliging, and couldn't understand why my letter to his church last November had not been delivered but instead returned to me. We looked back in his old records and found Joseph A. Simons, Grandmother's father, had contributed to the church through 1899, but not in 1900, so that's a clue to when he died. Also there was a Mrs. William Simons (Aunt Emma ?) and son, but I didn't think Aunt Emma had any children--perhaps she had a son who died. And there was another Simons family--obviously other relatives moved here along with Grandmother's parents.

Then we went to the Second United Presbyterian Church, where the minister apologized profusely for not answering my letter to him, of last November. He still had it out on his desk. And I met a Mrs. Lois Bickett who was working in the office-­Bickett is an uncommon name, to be sure, everywhere but in Xenia, where there are very many, and Mrs. Lois Bickett couldn't believe you seldom find it. And in Xenia apparently they all belong to the Second United Presbyterian Church, and I bet the reason there was a rift between Adam Reed Bickett and his son George was because George married a Baptist. Anyway I told Reverend Beams that what I had asked him in my letter was all wrong, that I had been positively shocked to find Ann Galloway married John Jacoby when I had been sure she married a Junkin and was our great-great-grandmother. What I was trying to find was the old records of the Massie's Creek Church which merged with the Second United Presbyterian and whether they would tell who Mary Ann Junkin's parents were (she was Adam Reed Bickett's wife). We looked in his old records but we couldn't find anything on the Massie's Creek Church. He was quite interested in what church I belonged to, and understood how come in Wisconsin where there is a Congregational Church there is no Presbyterian because it was settled by New Englanders and the two churches cooperated in those days so they wouldn't duplicate efforts. During all this research I have read up a lot on Presbyterian history, and I was well prepared to talk with him.

Back at the motel I thought I would call the library, and there I found a lot of resources. The Mormon Church has put many, many records from all over the world on microfilm, and in return for borrowing the records to start with they give microfilm copies--in this case the county hadn't wanted them so the library took them and also had a microfilm reader which I had learned to use in Madison. We were there until after 6:00 and then I said I wished I had looked up something else, so Vic said well, the library's open until 9:00, so we went back and stayed until closing. I looked at old newspapers from the 1840's hoping for a report of the Junkin-Bickett wedding--for some reason they didn't have copies of the papers for the years around then, besides the weddings weren't written up as they are now, with names of parents, just the fact that the wedding took place. I did find the date of the Simons-Bickett wedding, which you might like to put in the family Bible--George and Elizabeth (it is listed as Elizabeth on the record) October 27, 1875. Ages aren't given, he attested he was 21 and she that she was 18, just legal ages, as he was born in 1851. The clergyman was B. Bedell--I would be interested in finding out whether he was Baptist or Presbyterian!

At the library the librarians were so friendly and helpful. One found the name of a semi-professional genealogist and called her about the Junkin family, and I am going to write to her and have her do what she can about that, and the connection with the Galloway family. And I told them when I am through with all this research I will send them a copy, which they would be happy to have. They have records of who is buried in which cemetery, which is very interesting, and they have a copier so I brought home copies of a few pages. The Clifton one is done but only the page with the W's is at the library. They called for me and found the rest of it is not yet ready for placing in the library. There I could find out the first name of George's wife (Baker). I think I will ask them to send me copies when they get the rest of it.

They told me about this at the library, and I picked up the order blank which I am enclosing. I am going to order a copy of Robinson's History for myself. The history I have here is tom Dills', dated 1881. Robinson's is dated, I believe, 1902, and is based largely on Dills', plus having an index in the center of many, many early settlers. It has far more information in it than Dills'. I had looked at an old copy of it in Madison and copied some of the biographical sketches and parts of the settlers' index on the Xerox, but I always wish I had also copied something else, too. I'm enclosing the order blank because you might want one, too.

After we had ordered the gravestone and before we went to the library, we went to see Margaret Kahoe, who is a charming person. She is the one who sent me the copies of the old papers about Thomas Baker being in the Revolution. I called her Monday around 5:00 and told her we would like to stop in on Tuesday afternoon, and got directions to find her home, in the country. Remember Mom's cousin Josephine Hutchison Littleton, whom she thought so much of? Josephine's mother Hester was our Grandfather Baker's sister. Marguerite Williams had written me that there had been some trouble, that for years Hester and Grandfather did not speak to each other, but after Grandfather died she could remember seeing Mom help Aunt Hester across the street to see Grandmother. She said, do not speak of this to any of the living, that she did not know what the trouble had been. But I have an idea it had to do with division of the homestead property. Margaret Kahoe's mother (Nettie, I believe) and Josephine were sisters, daughters of Hester, and Margaret lives on some of that property, in a very interesting old house which she and her husband have modernized, refinished woodwork, etc., and the house in which she (Margaret) was born. When giving directions, she said that on the corner of the road where we were to turn was what used to be Grandmother Baker's house (our great-grandmother), and she laughed a little self-consciously when she said it as though there was a story connected with it. Margaret was born in 1914, and her husband is city-manager of Yellow Springs, and is about to retire. They wanted to take us out to dinner that night. Her husband had hoped to get home while we were there, but he didn't arrive. At that point we still planned to start for home that evening, so we said we couldn't, though I suggested we might stay, but it was vetoed. She had a little additional information to give me about the Bakers, also she asked if we were related in any way to the Means family. I have wondered ever since just how Willie Baker (some kind of cousin, the one who had all these old papers which Margaret now has) ever got hold of this particular letter. It was a letter written by a Catholic Sister to Mr. Julian after Aunt Gertie died, telling just how much good care they had given her, and the immediate chores they did right after death. If ever a letter was asking for money, that was. I showed no interest in it at all. I think Mom's life had been dominated by the Means influence, that she had done this and that because the Meanses wanted it, a dress she had to wear for high school graduation because it had been a gift from them and she didn't like it, furniture which she didn't want--such as that hat rack at the front door, etc., and then no inheritance. One time you showed me photo albums with all the pictures removed. I am certain they were Means photographs. A frame which I had rescued because she was going to give it to Goodwill was here with a picture of Mr. Means in it, and one time Mom saw it and said how on earth did that get here--I think she got rid of all the things she had always hated but had to keep because they were Means family things. She didn't feel that way about everything else, but she certainly did about pictures.

Now about what has been sent to me since we came home. This arrived only yesterday--a letter from Myrtle Peterson, the (I've figured it out), the fourth-cousin once removed, from Xenia. She sent a letter telling me she just can't figure out Adam Reed Bickett, that she is descended from William R. Bickett and knows who all his children were. You see, originally there were two Bickett brothers who settled in Greene County, William R. (I supposed and still do that that R. stands for Reed, his mother's maiden name) and John Henry. In the History William R. is listed as marrying Isabella Alexander, and their children are listed, beginning with Adam R. Now when I saw that I assumed (and I've found you shouldn't assume anything in genealogical research) that Adam R. meant Adam Reed whose family Bible you have. The only thing against that was the fact that Adam Reed was born in 1822, and the History says William R. and Isabella were married in 1827--well, that could have been 1821 and someone misread it as 1827 and perpetuated the error. Also among Adam Reed Bickett's children was a son named John Henry, and I have wondered how come they named a son for an uncle when not one of the sons was named William for the father. Since yesterday I have had to re-orient my thinking, and I think I'm on the right track now. There must have been two Adam R.’s, one Adam Reynolds who was a son of William R. and Adam Reed who was a son of John Henry Bickett. Adam Reynolds must have been the younger of the two if his parents were married in 1827, so perhaps to avoid confusion he tent by his second name. That means that our great-great-grandmother was not Isabella Alexander Bickett, but Margaret Dean Bickett, and believe me, that simplifies things for me because the Robinson's History Index gives the Dean genealogy way back to Ireland. That means all the thought I've given to the Alexander lineage was wasted because that doesn't pertain to us at all.

Myrtle Peterson says she goes to the library frequently, in fact she enclosed a couple of pages which she Xeroxed for me just this week, but I already have that information. I am going to write to her next, if I ever get this letter finished, and ask her if she will check and see if she can find descendants of John Henry Bickett and how many children he had, etc. I already know of three--Adam Reed, his sister Mary who gave him the Bible, and Daniel Bickett, named for his mother's father, Daniel Dean. I have sent for some DAR information on various people, at $2.00 per name I thought it was a pretty good buy for verified information, and among the names is one for Alexander which now doesn't mean a thing to me.

People are so very kind and willing to help. I know the genealogist I am going to write to in Xenia will charge something, but if she can come up with some answers it will be worth it.

I am so very sorry the Manors were not in Xenia when we were there. I'm sure I could have gotten some leads on Grandmother's (Bickett) family from them. I didn't get any answers to the questions I wrote them last November, but maybe if I wrote again I will have better luck. From cemetery records I know Gilletts and Randalls also moved to Greene County. Grandmother Bickett's husband was Joseph A. Simons, her mother was a Gillett, and her mother's mother a Randall. They went to Michigan briefly probably locating relations there, and then returned to Greene County. The Aneke Jans story became a family story because an Aneke Jans descendant named Sutherland married a Randall. That must have happened in Michigan. There are Gilletts and Randalls buried around Lansing, and we stayed at a Randall's Inn at Notre Dame (Niles, Michigan), and the other day in my own kitchen I found a clue--a paper cup was made at Sutherland Paper Co., Kalamazoo, Michigan. Funny how these things happen.

I have spent a couple of hours writing this, so I guess it's time I stopped. I still have three letters to write, and I can't spend much more time on this project or thought either, for that matter. We will be leaving a week from next Friday and won't be home until June 1, and I have sewing to do, plus a lot of other preparations and planning food for Todd because he will be coming home while we are gone. I know we will have a wonderful time, but there's so much to be done at home at this time of year. And I can't help thinking about these unanswered genealogy questions while I'm doing other things.

I've gone to great detail in this letter--I have been so excited about all the things I keep finding out, and you are the only other person who would be as interested as I. Sometime I want to go back to Ohio.



Victor George Edward "Vic" Fiegel died November 9, 1985, at Holton Manor Nursing Home, Elkhorn, Walworth Co., WI, at age 75. Buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI.

Victor George Edward "Vic" Fiegel Death Certificate.


Victor George Edward "Vic" Fiegel Oak Hill Cemetery Interment Records.

The Janesville Daily Gazette, Janesville, Rock Co., WI, Monday, November 11, 1985

Victor George Fiegel, 75, of 434 Oakland, died Saturday at Holton Manor Nursing Home, Elkhorn. He was born Oct. 16, 1910, in Little Rock, Ark., and spent his early life in Galveston, Texas. He married Helen Bickett on Oct. 16, 1938, in Watertown, where they lived until 1952 when they moved to Walworth. They had resided in Elkhorn since 1957. He Founded the A.K. Rubber Products Co., Elkhorn, in 1952, retiring in 1976. He was a member of the Elkhorn Kiwanis Club and the Walworth-Fontana Rotary Club and a past president of the latter with a 28-year perfect attendance record. He was a member of the Elkhorn Congregational Church of Christ, serving as moderator, deacon, trustee and building committee chairman. He was also active in Boy Scouting. Surviving are his wife; two sons, Victor Kirt of Elkhorn and Edward Todd of Boulder, Colo.; and two grandchildren. Services were held this morning at the Congregational United Church of Christ, Elkhorn, with burial in Oak Hill Cemetery, Watertown. Memorials may be made to the church. Betts Funeral Home, Elkhorn, was in charge of arrangements.

The following genealogy information was written by Helen to a Bickett researcher in 1987:

Victor G. Fiegel was born in Little Rock, AR in 1910, and when he was four years old the family moved to Los Angeles, CA. On January 28, 1919 he was run over by the wheel of a wagon, and the injuries to his leg kept him hospitalized for four months. His parents had divorced, and in May he went back to Texas with his father and lived with an aunt and uncle in Austin while recuperating. In June, 1920 he went to live with his father in Galveston, TX where he grew up. After attending a business college in El Paso, TX in 1929-1930, he went to Eureka, CA where his mother and stepfather lived, and worked for some time as a dental technician for his stepfather. He enlisted in the merchant marines and made several trips across the Pacific, before returning to Galveston.

Helen was born in Yellow Springs, OH in 1912, but grew up in Watertown, WI, where the family moved in 1921. After high school, where she was active in music organizations, she graduated from the University of Wisconsin in Madison with a degree in Business Administration (School of Commerce). She was a member of Alpha Gamma Delta. These were Depression years and she worked on several of the student-assistance programs.

We met in Galveston, TX and were married in Watertown, WI October 16, 1938. We lived in Galveston until 1940 when we moved to Watertown and Vic worked at the L. M. Bickett company. After World War II began, in 1942, we moved back to the Galveston area and lived in LaMarque and Texas City while Vic worked at the Pan-American oil refinery. We returned to Watertown in 1944 and Vic worked at the L. M. Bickett Company until September, 1952 when we moved to Walworth, WI and started the A. K. Rubber Products company, on the proverbial shoestring. The company prospered, and in 1956 we bought property in Elkhorn, put up a building, and moved the company there. In the fall of 1957 we ourselves moved to Elkhorn. The company was incorporated in 1959, and at this writing it has been in existence for 28 years and has a very solid foundation.

We have been active in the Congregational Church in Elkhorn, both of us having served in a number of capacities over the years. Vic has been moderator, and as chairman of the building committee when our Christian Education Building was erected in 1970. He was a member of the Elkhorn Kiwanis club and the Walworth-Fontana Rotary Club, with 27 years perfect attendance in the Rotary Club. Helen has enjoyed serving as piano accompanist for music contestants from the Elkhorn school for about 15 years, and has pinch-hit as organist at the church on occasion. Also--she spent eight years working on this genealogy project, searching libraries and county courthouses across the country, writing hundreds of letters, and becoming acquainted with hitherto-unknown relatives.

All three of our children were born in Watertown, although when Todd was born we were living in Walworth. Alan only lived to be 26 months old. Kirt and Todd graduated from Elkhorn High School, where both excelled in instrumental music. Kirt graduated from Carroll College in 1964 with a degree in business administration, having spent his junior year at the University of Hawaii, in Honolulu, Todd graduated from the School of Music of the University of WI-Madison in 1976, with a degree in music education. In 1980 he received his master's degree in conducting, also in Madison.

Kirt took over management and ownership of the A. K. Rubber Products Co. Inc. in 1980, and Todd is now assistant professor of music at Muskingum College in New Concord, OH.

Helen Means (Bickett) Fiegel died October 25, 1988, at Lakeland Hospital, Elkhorn, Walworth Co., WI, at age 76. Buried in Oak Hill Cemetery, Watertown, Jefferson Co., WI.

Helen Means (Bickett) Fiegel Death Certificate.


Helen Means (Bickett) Fiegel Oak Hill Cemetery Interment Records.

The Janesville Daily Gazette, Janesville, Rock Co., WI, Thursday, October 27, 1988

Fiegel, Helen B.

ELKHORN - Helen B. Fiegel, age 76, of 434 Oakland Lane, died on Tues., Oct. 25, 1988 at the Lakeland Hospital, Elkhorn, following a long illness. She was born on Aug. 28, 1912 in Yellow Springs, OH, the daughter of LeRoy and Gertrude (Baker) Bickett. She was a 1935 Accounting and Commerce graduate of the University of Wisconsin. She married Victor Fiegel on  Oct. 16, 1938 in Watertown; he preceded her in death on Nov. 9, 1985. In 1952 they founded the A. K. Rubber Products Co. in Walworth and relocated to Elkhorn in 1957. A talented musician and scholar, she possessed an inquiring mind and was always in pursuit of knowledge. She was a member of the Elkhorn's Women's Club, Daughter of the American Revolution, and Alpha Gamma Delta Sorority. She served in a variety of capacities as a member of the Congregational United Church of Christ. She was dedicated to education, musical activities and many other worthy causes. She is survived by 2 sons, Kirt of Elkhorn and Todd of Pocatello, ID; 2 grandchildren, Andria and Laurie. She was preceded in death by one 1 son, Alan, and 1 sister, Ruth. Funeral services will be Fri., Oct. 28, at 1:30 P.m. at the CONGREGATIONAL UNITED CHURCH OF CHRIST, Elkhorn, with the Rev. Jay Karlow officiating. Burial will be in Oak Hill Cemetery, Watertown. Friends may call at the church from 12:00 Noon on Fri. until the time of services. Memorials in her name may be made to the Elkhorn Area High School Scholarship  Foundation, Inc. BETTS FUNERAL HOME, Elkhorn, is handling arrangements.

Victor Kirt Fiegel was honored with a retirement party March 23, 2017, at the Elkhorn Chamber of Commerce Building, Elkhorn, Walworth Co., WI. Kirt was a Charter Member of the Elkhorn Rotary club as well as being a major contributor to the Rotary Foundation, club President and Assistant Governor. His club wants to honor him for his 48 years of service with Rotary.

MCELROY, MRS. PATTIE (MEANS)       I.R. OCT. 7, 1921
The funeral of Mrs. Pattie Means McElroy who died Tuesday at Battle Creek, Mich., was held at Woodland cemetery. The pall bearers were Messrs. E. S. Culbertson, Mills Hutsinpillar, C. W. Moulton and L. B. Campbell. M.I. Oct. 06, 1921 - Remains arrive here - The remains of Mrs. Pattie Means McElroy will arrive this Thursday . . . as services were held in Cincinnati there will be no service in Ironton . . . Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Julian (nee Gertrude Means) of Cincinnati, Miss Pearl Means and Mrs. Louise Whiting of Yellow Springs will accompany the body to Ironton.   Died: October 4, 1921, Battle Creek, Calhoun Co., MI (age 41)

Martha Elizabeth Campbell, second daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Campbell, was born at Mt. Vernon Furnace, Lawrence county, in 1842, and married October 12, 1859, by Rev. Joseph Chester; died February 19, 1904, in Cincinnati, Ohio, of pneumonia. William Means and daughter, Pearl, of Yellow Springs, Mrs. Alex Julian, Mr. and Mrs. Thaddeus McIlroy, of New York, accompanied the body from Cincinnati. Two brothers, Albert Campbell, of Washington, D. C. and Charles Campbell, of Hecla Furnace, are the only survivors of the Campbell family. The funeral held from the home of Mr. and Mrs. David Nixon, of Park avenue. Burial at Woodland.

CAMPBELL, CHARLES:    M. I. JUL. 18, 1923

Died Jul. 16, 1923 at Athens Ohio Hospital, age 71. He was the son of John Campbell (founder of Ironton). Interment was Woodland Cemetery. Mrs. J. L. Anderson of this city, a niece of the deceased, was notified yesterday. He was the last of the John Campbell family. Three nieces, Mrs. Alexander Julian of Cincinnati, Mrs. William Means of Yellow Springs, and Mrs. J. L. Anderson, of this city, survive, as does a cousin, Mrs. L. B. Campbell, also of Ironton.


I.R. Jan. 16, 1890 - Mrs. Wm. Means and daughters, Misses Gertrude and Pattie, arrived here last Friday evening and went immediately to Mrs. Mean's parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Campbell. They came from Ashland on the ferry boat, that being the easiest and most comfortable way for Pattie, who is quite feeble and ill from a recent surgical operation. Miss Gertrude Means left for Yellow Springs, Tuesday, but her mother and sister yet remain at Mr. Campbell's, and will, until she gains some strength. Mr. Means is at Yellow Springs and is rapidly recovering his health.

I.R. Jan. 30, 1890 - Mrs. William Means left for Yellow Springs last Friday.


The Morning Irontonian, Friday, July 29, 1921 - DEATH CLAIMS WM. A. MEANS - ENGAGED IN IRON INDUSTRY FOR YEARS IN IRONTON - FORMER MAYOR OF CINCINNATI AND PROMINENT IN DEMOCRATIC POLITICS (Associated Press Dispatch) - Springfield, July 28. - William Means, 90, formerly mayor of Cincinnati died at his home in Yellow Springs, O., at 10 o'clock this morning. Mr. Means who was the father-in-law of Wm. A. Julian of Cincinnati, democratic candidate for U.S. Senator last fall was prominent in democratic politics for many years. For forty years while a resident of Cincinnati he maintained a summer home in Yellow Springs and a few years ago came there to spend the remainder of his life. Recently twenty acres of the estate were sold to the trustees of Antioch college for the purpose of establishing homes for Antioch faculty members.

(Associated Press Dispatch) - Cincinnati, O., July 28. - William A. Means who died at his home in Yellow Springs today was mayor of Cincinnati in 1881 and 1882. He was president of a local bank at that time. He leaves three daughters, Mrs. W. A. Julian of Cincinnati, wife of W. A. Julian former candidate for U. S. Senator, Miss Pearl Means and Mrs. Pattie McElroy of New York. Mr. and Mrs. Julian are now on the Atlantic en route to Europe. Mr. Means will be buried at Ironton but the time of the funeral has not been determined. He was the son of Thomas H. Means. He became successful in the iron industry at Ironton and engaged in the same business in Cincinnati when he was about 45 years old and later became head of a Cincinnati bank.


54* Gertrude Means      b.c 1864      d. 25 Mar 1949
53*Pearl A. Means      B. February 1866     d. 25 Aug 1931
119*Patricia W. "Pattie" Means      b. 10 Dec 1873      d. 4 Oct 1921




(54) Gertrude Means, daughter of William and Martha Elizabeth (Campbell) Means, was born about 1869 and married 5 Sep 1895 in Yellow Springs, OH, (55) William Alexander Julian, son of Alexander and Elizabeth (Laughlin) Julian, who was born 6 Aug 1861 in Franklin Co., KY. Gertrude died 25 Mar 1949 in Cincinnati, OH and was buried in Ironton, Lawrence Co., OH, Woodland Cem.. William Alexander died 29 May 1949 and was buried in Ironton, Lawrence Co., OH, Woodland Cem..

Notes for Gertrude Means:
I. R. Oct. 9, 1949 - Article about John Campbell states: The last living grandchild was Mrs. W. A. Julian, wife of the Treasurer of the United States, who died early this year. Mrs. Julian's mother, Martha Campbell married William Means, one time mayor of Cincinnati.

In 1904, Mr. and Mrs. Alex Julian were living in New York.

I.T. Sat., March 28, 1949 - NATIVE OF IRONTON DIES IN CINCINNATI - CINCINNATI, March 26, - (AP) - Mrs. Gertrude Means Julian, 80, wife of Treasurer of the United States W. A. Julian, died at her home here yesterday after an illness of several months.

Julian, who disclosed his wife's death on arrival today from Washington said she had not been considered seriously ill.

A native of Ironton, O., Mrs. Julian had been active in civil and philanthropic organizations throughout her life here.

In 1936 she was presented to the court of St. James in London, the third Cincinnatian to be so honored.

The Julians had no children. Mrs. Julian's two sisters, Misses Patti and Pearl Means, died some years ago at their Yellow Spring, O., home.

Julian said his wife had "left positive instructions to be cremated."


Ironton Tribune, March 28, 1949 - JULIAN SERVICE THIS MORNING AT WOODLAND - Private graveside services were held at Woodland cemetery this morning at 11 o'clock for Mrs. Gertrude Means Julian, wife of Treasurer of the United States W. A. Julian. Mrs. Julian died Friday at her home in Cincinnati and the body was cremated yesterday.

Mrs. Julian was a native of Ironton. She was a granddaughter of John Campbell, founder of Ironton, her mother being the former Mary Campbell Means. Her father, William Means, served as mayor of Cincinnati in 1881.

Mrs. Julian was vice president of the Hamilton County Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and was a former trustee of the Widows and Old Mens Home in Cincinnati. She was presented to the Court of St. James in 1936. She last visited here 28 years ago but planned to return during the Centennial next October. She was a distant relative of Mrs. Carl Moulton and Mrs. M. B. Edmundson, of Ironton.

Notes for William Alexander Julian:
W. A. Julian was Treasurer of the United States.

I.E.T. Wed., May 3, 1933 - JULIAN NAMED U.S. TREASURER - FIRST MAJOR APPOINTMENT TO COME TO OHIO - Cincinnati. May 3 -(AP) - W. A. Julian, retired Cincinnati shoe manufacturer and Ohio member of the Democratic national convention, today announced his acceptance of the post of treasurer of the United States. Informed circles in Washington said yesterday that his appointment was probable. Until today, however, Julian insisted he had nothing to say, either no to whether the post had been offered to him, or whether he would accept. The treasuryship is the first major post to go to an Ohion in the Roosevelt administration. The announced his acceptance to newspapermen before going into a luncheon meeting of the Associated Charities here, of which he is president. He had, he said, wired President Roosevelt his acceptance of the office. Julian, in becoming treasurer of the United States, accepted office at last after steadily refusing high posts offered him in succeeding Democratic regimes. President Wilson offered him first a position on the Federal trade commission, and then on the Federal Reserve Board. He declined both. Still later he refused the office of treasurer of the national Democratic committee. But elected to the national committee for Ohio, in a factional dispute in 1925, he has held the office since. Julian started life as a farm boy near Frankfort, Ky., graduated from Dodds College, there in 1888 (?), and went to Cincinnati. He became a bank clerk, then switched to shoe manufacturing, established a plant of his own, and later retired, reputedly a millionaire. Three years before, he ran for the United States Senate - the only elective office he ever sought - and was defeated by Frank B. Willis in the Harding landslide of that year. With party loyalty his creed, he only once differed with its leaders. In 1931, he came out openly in opposition to the ( ----ter John J. Rankob ?) seat/sent national committeemen, seeking support of his "home-rule" liquor plan. William's family was established in this country by James Julian, who settled at Fredericksburg, VA in 1680. John Julian a descendant of James, the colonist, and grandfather of William A. Julian, was surgeon-major in the Revolutionary Army under Washington. William A. Julian was graduated, A.B., at Dodds College, Frankfurt, Kentucky, in 1888. He began as a clerk in a bank. He engaged in the shoe manufacturing business in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1893 as a partner with Franklin Alter and H. Kokenge in the Alter-Julian Co. This company was succeeded in 1900 by the Julian-Kokenge Co., which is still (1934) in business in Columbus, Ohio. The company specializes in the manufacture of women's fine shoes. It employs an average of eight hundred people and its annual business amounts to approximately $3 million. Mr. Julian was president of the company until 1917 when he retired from its active management, although he continued as chairman of the board of directors. He was president also of the Cincinnati Shoe Co.; First National Bank of Bethel, Ohio, and Queen City Trust Co.; vice-president and director of the Central Trust Co. of Cincinnati. During World War 1, he was chairman of the civilian relief committee of the American Red Cross and vice-chairman of the Cincinnati chapter. For twenty years he has been chairman of the investment committee of Berea College, and for the same period of time he has been president of the Associated Charities of Cincinnati. He was a delegate to the Democratic National Convention in 1916 and, since 1926, he has been Democratic National Committeeman for Ohio. In May, 1933, he was appointed Treasurer of the United States by President Roosevelt. He was married at Yellow Springs, Ohio, September 5, 1895, to Gertrude E., daughter of William Means, former mayor of Cincinnati. He lived at Red Gables, R. F. D. Rockville, Maryland. He died May 28, 1949. "Who was Who, Vol. II. National Cyclopedia of American Biography."

I.T. Monday, May 30, 1949 JULIAN, U.S. TREASURER IS CRASH VICTIM - BETHESDA, MD., MAY 29, (AP) - W. A. Julian, treasurer of the United States since the earliest days of the Roosevelt New Deal, was killed today in a head-on automobile crash near here. Death was quick for the man whose flourished signature appears on every piece of currency. His chest was crushed, and members of the rescue squad worked half an hour to extracate his body from the wreckage. The occupants of the other car, William Ellis and Paul Smith of nearby Maryland communities, were only slightly hurt. No charges were filed in the accident. Julian's death brought to life a secret carefully guarded by the retired and wealthy former banker - his age. A driver's license showed it to be 73 (or 78 - can't make out copy - smk) Julian's wife, Gertrude Means Julian, daughter of a former mayor of Cincinnati, died last March 24(6) at the age of ( ). They were childless. The late Mrs. Julian was a native of Ironton, a granddaughter of John Campbell, founder of Ironton; her mother was the former Mary Campbell Means. She was a distant relative of Mrs. Carl Moulton and Mrs. M. E. Edmundson of Ironton. The ashes of Mrs. Julian were brought here and buried in Woodland Cemetery. Born on a farm near Frankfort, Ky., William Alexander Julian rose to shoe manufacturer, president of the Queen City Trust Company of Cincinnati, and a director of other banks. A lifelong Democrat and one-time national committeeman, he dodged various offers of appointment to public office. Franklin D. Roosevelt persuaded him to come to Washington to overhaul the national's fiscal system in mid-depression. The accident occurred this morning as Julian, driving alone, attempted to make a left turn as he neared the brow of a hill about three miles from his home at Rockville, Md., police said. The office of Treasurer of the United States - not be confused with the Secretary of the Treasury, a cabinet post - is essentially a banking facility for the government. Duties include the receipt, disbursement and accounting for public moneys; the custody, issuance and redemption of paper currency and coin; the safekeeping of securities, and the payment of principal and interest on the public debt. The treasurer receives $_0,330 a year. Julian ran unsuccessfully for the U. S. Senate in Ohio in 1920 but thereafter he stayed behind-scenes politically. Funeral arrangements have not been made.

I.E.T. Wed., June 22, 1949 - JULIAN WILL CODICIL DECLARED INVALID - CINCINNATI, June 23 - (AP) - A codicil to the will of William A. Julian, leaving five-twentieths of a trust fund to the Seventh Day Adventist Church, has been declared invalid, it was learned Tuesday. Judge Chase M. Davies of Probate Court held the codicil to be invalid because the former treasurer of the U. S. had no witness present when he signed it. No estimate was given on the fortune left by Julian, who was killed in an automobile accident May 29. The original will dated Oct. 28, 18__ provided an annual income of $36,000 a year to Mrs. Julian and at her death the income was to have been divided among Julian's two brothers. The brothers and Mrs. Julian, however, are dead. Walter Shohl, one of the late treasurer's attorneys, said the will then provided that on the deaths of the brothers and Mrs. Julian the estate should be divided into twentieths with Berea College of Berea, Ky. and various charitable institutions sharing the estate. In the codicil the court held to be invalid, Julian deleted several original beneficiaries, and stipulated that money go to the Seventh Day Adventist Church "because of its splendid work." Shohl said. Several other codicils providing for individual bequests also were declared invalid because they had not been witnessed.


Cincinnati, June 22, 1949 - The will of W. A. Julian was accepted for probate as originally written. In a codicil earlier held invalid, Julian had changed the will to give the Seventh Day Adventist Church 5/20 of his fortune.

Cincinnati, November 1, 1949. The Julian estate was valued at $4,457,988.41. Included were cash $436,513; bonds, $177,678; stocks,$3,757.576; personal jewelry, $35 (a wrist watch); real estate, $150; notes receivable $85,334. Cash to Charles A. Julian, of Frankfort, Kentucky, a nephew, $100,000; $50,000 each to Mrs. Douglas J. Ebert of Birmingham, Alabama, and Mrs. Lillian J. Abbott, of Clearwater, Florida. An unestimated trust fund was to be divided among Berea College, Berea, Kentucky; Associated Charities, Y.W.C.A., Widow's Home, Walnut Hills, Children's Hospital, Clovernook Home for the Blind. No children of this marriage in these records.

(53) Pearl Means, daughter of William and Martha Elizabeth (Campbell) Means, married (14) Never Married. Pearl died 25 Aug 1931 and was buried in Ironton, Lawrence Co., OH, Woodland Cem.

Notes for Pearl Means:
I.R. Thurs. Feb. 7, 1889 - MISS PEARL MEANS - The New York Sun makes public a fact that the young lady's friends have known for some time, i.e., that Miss Pearl Means is studying for the stage. Miss Means is positive that she is not "stage struck" in the ordinary sense of the word, but adopts the stage as a method earning a livelihood. Before her parents were fully aware of her intentions she became a member of the Lyceum School of Acting, of which A. M. Palmer is the head, and Boucicault a professor. she has been placed upon the preferred list of pupils and has enlisted, by her earnestness, the interest and sympathy of such men as Lawrence Barrett and A. M. Palmer, and should she develop the requisite talent for success, will undoubtedly have every opportunity of proving it. She promises to be a very delightful "ingenue", and the many friends of her family here will watch her career with deep interest. She kep her attendance at the school secret for awhile, fearing an unnecessary shock to her father, ex-Mayor Wm. Means, whose health is still precarious. The Sun says: "Two more society girls are ready for the stage. They show the extent to which the stage craze has gone among women in America since Mrs. Potter's success. One of the young women has just been engaged by Mr. Frohman for the 'Lord Chumley' Company, and the other will probably join Mrs. Blaine's company. Miss Means is the daughter of a former bank President in Cincinnati. She was very well known in society in the West. A series of misfortunes, culminating in her father's financial ruin, finally led Miss Means to seek for a livelihood. The other society debutante is Miss Moynahan, who comes of the old Irish family of that name in Ottawa. Her fortune was left entirely in the hands of her father's executors and was dissipated in less than three years. Both of the young women are in the class of society amateurs of which Miss Elsie DeWolfe is such a shining light." - Com.-Gazette.

Miss Means goes upon the stage probably because she loves the dramatic art. Ever since she was a child she was fond of elocution. She has particularly a sweet voice and graceful manners, and is a most handsome and intelligent young lady. If the information above is true, we are sure she will carry to the stage the best and noblest ideas of the art.

No children of this marriage in these records.

(119) Pattie Means, daughter of William and Martha Elizabeth (Campbell) Means, was born 10 Dec 1874 and married (227) Thaddeus McElroy. Pattie died 4 Oct 1921 in Battle Creek, MI and was buried in Ironton, Lawrence Co., OH, Woodland Cem..

Notes for Pattie Means:

I.R. July 9, 1896 - ANOTHER WEDDING - The following dispatch appeared in the Enquirer, of Tuesday:

YELLOW SPRINGS, O. July 6. - Announcement is made of the engagement of Mr. F. Roy Hayward of Ironton, to Miss Patti W. Means, daughter of William Means. The marriage was urged by the young people but owning to the continued feeble health of Mrs. Means, was at her request postponed.

I. R. Wednesday, Oct. 5, 1921 - DEATH CLAIMS MRS. M'ELROY - DAUGHTER OF THE LATE WM. MEANS DIED AT BATTLE CREEK - Word was received last evening by Mr. Earle Stewart of the sudden death Monday morning at Battle Creek, Mich., of Mrs. Pattie Means McElroy, daughter of the late William Means, former mayor of Cincinnati. Hon. W. A. Julian, brother-in-law of the deceased has gone to Battle Creek and will return with the body to Ironton for interment in Woodland cemetery. Funeral arrangements will be announced later.

No children of this marriage in these records.