Glenn Allan Abbey

Glenn Allan Abbey was born June 11, 1898, in Dodgeville, Dodgeville Twp., Iowa Co., WI, and died January 28, 1962, in the Santa Rosa Medical Center, 923 Cambridge Oval, Alamo Twp., San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX, at age 63. Buried in Mission Burial Park South, San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX. He is the son of William Searle Abbey of Hope Twp., Durham Co., Canada West, and Ida Elmira Blake of Orion Twp., Richland Co., WI. Glenn Abbey was never married, although he was engaged at one time in South Africa, but his fiancÚ evidently was killed in an automobile wreck.


Glenn Allan Abbey is buried in Mission Burial Park South, San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX. Photo courtesy of Joyce and Dallas Dean Stratman, Caledonia, MI.

The Wisconsin State Journal, Madison, Dane Co., WI, Sunday, January 15, 1956

The Mayfields Report

Mrs. Leslie Mayfield writes from Wilton:

"If you would ask my mother-in-law where she was born and what physicians attended, she would say, 'I was born in  a sod shanty and no doctor was there.' "Mother, Mrs. Cyrus Mayfield, of Dodgeville, related the following story to me: " 'My parents, Mr. and Mrs. William Abbey, and my oldest brother, Irvin, lived in Richland county. Early in 1878, they decided to go west to homestead some land. In their covered wagon, drawn by horses, they had some clothing, bedding, and cooking utensils, including a long-handled skillet, water pail, tin plates and cups, some steel knives and forks, and a coffee pot. " 'Mother and Dad worked their way west to earn food for themselves and their horses and a place to sleep." 'By fall, they had arrived in Norton county, Kansas. Here they homesteaded 160 acres. There was not time nor material to build a log or lumber building as they had back in Richland county. Dad put up a sod shanty. He put up a framework and used sods about 1 foot square. The one room building was about 16 feet square." 'I was born in this sod shanty, Mar. 26, 1879. Mother named me Iva Mae." 'She used to laugh when she told of my first christening. Late in April of 1879 there was a long rainy season and, of course, a sod shanty would let water seep in. Mother heard a fussing near the cradle and found me floundering in a mud puddle on the floor. I had fallen out of bed.' On Mar. 29, 1956, the Lord willing, Mr. and Mrs. Cyrus Mayfield will celebrate their 57th wedding anniversary. Their six children are Melva Egalhoff, Dodgeville; Mrs. C. H. Thompson, Ft. Madison, Ia.; Mrs. Art Held, Chicago; Mrs. Herman Crume, 17 N. Brearly st., Madison; Marvin, of International Falls, Minn., and Leslie, of Wilton."

Glenn Allan Abbey was born June 11, 1898, in Dodgeville, Iowa Co., WI.

The Birth Record for Glenn Allan Abbey, found in the Iowa County, Wisconsin courthouse in Dodgeville. Please note that his name did not appear on the Birth Registration, probably because his name had not yet been chosen.

The 1900 U. S. Census taken on June 26, 1900, shows William Abbey (age 47) born April, 1853, in Canada to English and Canadian-born parents, is a married Farm Laborer, and is renting his house, and is living on Fountain Street, 1st Ward, Dodgeville, Dodgeville Twp., Iowa Co., WI. Living with him are: his wife of 25 years, Ida Abbey (age 41) born September, 1858, in Wisconsin to Pennsylvania-born parents, with 7 of the 8 children born to her still alive; his unmarried son, Irwin Abbey (age 24) born May, 1876, in Wisconsin to English Canadian and Wisconsin-born parents, a Traveling Salesman of Stationery; his unmarried daughter, Maude Abbey (age 18) born December, 1881, in Wisconsin to English Canadian and Wisconsin-born parents, a Dressmaker; his unmarried daughter, Emma Abbey (age 16) born February, 1884, in Wisconsin to English Canadian and Wisconsin-born parents; his son, Truman Abbey (age 14) born May, 1886, in Wisconsin to English Canadian and Wisconsin-born parents; his daughter, Edna Abbey (age 5) born March, 1895, in Wisconsin to English Canadian and Wisconsin-born parents; and his son, Allen Abbey (age 2) born June, 1898, in Wisconsin to English Canadian and Wisconsin-born parents.

The 1905 Wisconsin State Census taken on June 1, 1905 shows Wm. Abby (age 53) born in Canada to England and Canadian-born parents is a Farmer Owning his own home with a mortgage and living in the City of Dodgeville, Iowa Co., WI. Living with him is his wife, Ida E. Abby (age 47) born in Wisconsin to Pennsylvania and Indiana-born parents. Also living there are his five unmarried children, all born in Wisconsin to Pennsylvania and Indiana-born parents: Wm. A. Abby (age 29) a Traveling Salesman; Emma J. Abby (age 21) a Housekeeper; Chas. T. Abby (age 19); Edna B. Abby (age 10); and Glen A. Abby (age 7).


William Searle Abbey Family, 32nd Wedding Anniversary, Dodgeville, Iowa Co., WI, October, 1906.

The 1910 U. S. Census taken on April 21, 1910 shows William Abbey (age 57) born in Canada to Canadian and English-born parents, and having immigrated in 1860, and a Naturalized Citizen, is a married Farm Laborer, and who owns his house with a mortgage, and is living in the 1st Ward, City of Dodgeville, Iowa Co., WI. Living with him are: his wife of 35 years, Ida Abbey (age 51) born in Wisconsin to Pennsylvania-born parents, and with 7 of her 8 children born to her still alive, still alive; his unmarried daughter, Edna Abbey (age 15) born in Wisconsin to English Canadian and Wisconsin-born parents; and his unmarried son, Allen Abbey (age 11) born in Wisconsin to English Canadian and Wisconsin-born parents.

In 1915 or 1916, William and Ida Abbey are living near Sherry Twp., Wood Co., WI.

The Gazette, Stevens Point, Portage Co., WI, May 24, 1916


Isaac Abbey of Superior is visiting his brother Wm. Abbey.

The Gazette, Stevens Point, Portage Co., WI, June 14, 1916


Mr. and Mrs. L. H. Anderson and daughter Ruth of Rothschild are visiting Mrs. Anderson's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Abbey. Allen Abbey, who was graduated from the high school at Dodgeville last week, returned here Saturday.

The Gazette, Stevens Point, Portage Co., WI, December 14, 1916


Allen Abbey who has been in the hospital and has been recovering from an operation, went to Fairfield with his sister and her husband on Monday, where he will remain until he has fully recovered, before returning to his home.

Leigh Larson note: The sister is likely Emma Jane (Abbey) Larson, Farmington Twp., Waupaca Co., WI.

The Gazette, Stevens Point, Portage Co., WI, Wednesday, January 3, 1917


Allan Abbey has returned from a visit with his sister in Fairchild.

The 1920 U. S. Census taken on January 5, 1920 shows Glen A. Abbey (age 21) born in Wisconsin to Wisconsin-born parents is an unmarried Bookkeeper in a Brass Factory lodging with the F. D. and Amanda Ambrose family at 710 Dayton Street, Kenosha, Kenosha Co., WI.

The Iowa County Democrat, Mineral Point, Iowa Co., WI, Thursday, June 2, 1921


Glen A. Abbey of Kenosha, visited friends here Wednesday.


William Searle Abbey Family 53rd Wedding Anniversary, Dodgeville, Iowa Co., WI, June 22, 1927.

The Daily Northwestern, Oshkosh, Winnebago Co., WI, Friday, July 22, 1927


C. T. Abbey, of San Antonio, Tex., and G. A. Abbey, of Haiti, spent Tuesday in the city, guests of the Almo Larsen family.

U. S. Consuls in South Africa, The Political Graveyard

Johannesburg: Glenn A. Abbey (Vice Consul 1929)

The 1930 U. S. Census shows Glenn A. Abbey (age 32) born in Wisconsin to Canadian and U.S. parents is an American Vice Consul in the Foreign Service of the U. S. A. living in Johannesburg, Transvaal, Union of South Africa as a boarder in the Edward Lawson household.

Proof picture of Glenn A. Abbey

News and Views of Glenn Allan Abbey

    JPG Abbey Glenn 2.jpg (100719 bytes)    JPG Abbey Glenn 3.jpg (142674 bytes)    JPG Abbey Glenn 1.jpg (78105 bytes)


Edited reflections of Atty. Albert M. McNeel, Jr. - Son-in-law of C. T. Abbey

Glenn was a boy about 10 years old when Mr. C. T. Abbey left home. C. T. Abbey was very private with his business, and he definitely did not like anyone prying into his affairs. Glenn said that one day C. T. left the house, and that he, Glenn, went upstairs to go through C. T. Abbey's drawers to see if he could read some papers that he thought Mr. Abbey had put up there. Glenn heard the front door open and realized that C. T. had returned for some reason. Glenn knew that C. T. would really get tough on him so Glenn jumped from the top to the bottom of the stairs in one jump and ran out of the house so he wouldn't get caught.

Glenn Abbey, compared to his two brothers, was not at all athletic, and instead of playing baseball in the afternoon, he liked to go by and visit the old ladies with his mother and get some chocolate and cookies. Glenn Abbey was born in 1898, so in 1917 or 1918 he was drafted into the Army. However, not being athletic, he fell while jumping across a ditch and hurt himself. As a result of this disability there was some provision for the government to pay for some education for him so Glenn went to Chicago and went to a business school where he learned short hand. He then went to Washington, D.C. and went to Georgetown University there to study up so that he could go in the Foreign Service. In order to support himself he taught at a school there. One time the man he taught for didn't pay his salary when it was due, but Glenn also drove the school bus so Glenn said he hid the school bus and didn't give it back until the man paid his salary up to date. Anyway, Glenn also tutored some of the senator's sons and this made some good connections for him, and in 1926 he obtained a job as some kind of a civilian advisor to the army in Haiti and then the next year he obtained an appointment as a Foreign Service officer.

Glenn, after Haiti, went to Nicaragua with the Marines and was there for a year or so, and then he was sent to Venezuela where he was some kind of a third secretary in the embassy and was also a consulate official. Glenn said at one point that the ambassador was supposed to go to some very important, official function with the dictator Gomez, but the Ambassador could not speak Spanish at all, so he had Glenn go with him as an interpreter. Glenn said the only problem was that the day that he got there he had a severe case of dysentery and that he was not in good shape, but that he got through it. He said one thing to begin with the dictator decided to tell jokes, and he told some jokes, and Glenn said that it is impossible to translate a joke from one language to another and that he was supposed to tell the dictator some jokes so he just told him some Spanish jokes that he knew, and did not attempt to tell him any English jokes, but it was a great success.

The Daily Northwestern, Oshkosh, WI, August 3, 1931


Washington - AP - Foreign service changes announced by the state department included: Glenn A. Abbey, Dodgeville, Wis., vice consul at Johannesburg and in the United States on leave designated third secretary of legation at Managua, Nicaragua.

After this Glenn was brought back to Washington, D. C. probably in 1933 or 1934 where he was entitled to stay for about two years, and he purchased an automobile. Glenn had never owned an automobile before because he had always lived in a foreign country since he had been old enough to drive and had enough money to buy a car. However, immediately, he was ordered to go to Paraguay because Glenn was single, and Paraguay was a very bad post. The reason he was sent to Paraguay was that the Ambassador was the son of the Republican Whip in the United States Senate, and the Embassy residence was also the same place where the Embassy was located, and one morning about 10:00 a.m. an American lady had gone to the Embassy to do some business when the Ambassador came down the stairs of the Embassy naked. Apparently the Ambassador had a serious drinking problem and had been very drunk the night before, and didn't know what he was doing. Anyway, the lady reported this to the government and thought that the Ambassador should be fired. This got back to the Ambassador, but the State Department could not fire him because his father was so prominent in the Senate. The story is that the Ambassador thought that the First Secretary is the one, who had caused all this trouble, and he hated the First Secretary, and the First Secretary had instructions to leave on the first boat after his replacement arrived. So, it was in this atmosphere that Glenn was appointed as the First Secretary in Paraguay to replace the man who had to depart. Glenn enjoyed being in Paraguay and was there for a couple of years I believe. When Glenn arrived in Paraguay it apparently was just after the second Chaco War between Paraguay, Brazil, Argentina and some of the other South American countries. Evidently, back in the 1800's, Paraguay had been one of the largest countries in South America, but the neighboring countries had made war on them. I believe that the first Chaco War had been about 1880.

Without the benefit of documents, the following is a brief history of the later events in the life of Glenn Abbey.

The Oshkosh Northwestern, Oshkosh, Winnebago Co., WI, Monday, February 5, 1938


Washington, D. C. - AP - The state department announced today that Glenn A. Abbey, of Dodgeville, Wis., second secretary of legation at Asuncion, Paraguay, has been assigned to the state department.

The Wisconsin State Journal, Madison, Dane Co., WI, Tuesday, February 6, 1938

Dodgeville Man Gets Federal Post

WASHINGTON - Glen Allen Abbey, Dodgeville, foreign service career man, has been called from Asuncion, Paraguay, where he has been serving as second secretary of legations, to service in the department of state here. Born in Dodgeville June 11, 1898, Abbey was educated at business college and at Marquette university, Milwaukee, and George Washington universities, Washington, D. C. He then did graduate work at the University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, in 1929. After teaching in the public schools in 1917-18, he entered the U. S. Army and served a year. He was a clerk in 1919-21, and then became instructor in English and history at Devitt preparatory school in 1924-25. His first diplomatic service was as secretary to the American high commissioner at Port au Prince, Haiti, in 1925-27. He then entered the career service, after examination, on July 5, 1927, and was assigned to the foreign service school. On Feb. 24, 1928, he was sent to Johannesburg. After promotion to the rank of secretary in the diplomatic service July 1, 1931, he was assigned as third secretary at Managua, then to Caracas in 1932, and then to Asuncion.

Appleton Post-Crescent, Appleton, Outagamie Co., WI, Tuesday, April 19, 1938

Foreign Service Lions Club Topic

Waupaca Organization Hears Address by Glenn A. Abbey

Waupaca - Glenn A. Abbey, of the United States diplomatic service, was the principal speaker at the Lions club Monday noon at Hotel Delevan. Mr. Abbey was introduced by his brother-in-law, Almo Larson, at whose home he was a week end guest. Mr. Abbey's talk was of "The Foreign Service of the United States." For 13 years Mr. Abbey, a native of Dodgeville, Wis. and a graduate of Georgetown university, has been engaged in the American consular and diplomatic service. For two and one-half years he was stationed at Haiti, three years in the high commission in South Africa, located at Johanesburg and Pretoria. He was in Nicaragua a short time following the earthquake and in Venezuela four years. For a little more than a year he was in the service in Paraqua then at Buenes Aires and Paraguay, returning April 6 from Buenes Aires. Mr. Abbey was also a junior delegate to the Chaco peace conference. He is now doing special detail work with the department of state at Washington, D. C., where he will be stationed for two or three years. While in Waupaca Mr. Abbey was a guest at the home of his sister, Mrs. Almo Larson. He left Tuesday morning for Eau Claire where he will be the guest of another sister. Other weed end guests of Mr. and Mrs. Larson were Mrs. Ida Abbey, Dodgeville; C. P. Abbey, San Antonio, Texas; Mrs. L. H. Anderson, Eau Claire; Wilbur A. Larson, Watertown; Miss Marion Stratman, Madison; Mrs. Maude Stratman and Harold Indestad, Waupaca. 

The Oshkosh Northwestern, Oshkosh, Winnebago Co., WI, Tuesday, April 19, 1938


Glen Abbey, native of Dodgeville, and engaged in the American consular and diplomatic service for 13 years, was the speaker Monday noon at the Lions club. He has been at Haiti, South Africa, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Buenos Aires and Argentina, having returned to Washington April 6. He was a guest at the home of his sister, Mrs. Almo Larson.

After being in Paraguay for a couple of years, Mr. Glenn Abbey probably served briefly in Uruguay and perhaps Argentina. In 1938 he was transferred back to Washington and put to work as one of the people charged with codifying the protocol of the Foreign Service. Mr. Abbey lived in Washington and worked there until 1940. About the summer of 1940 he was transferred as a Third Secretary to the Embassy in London. Mr. Abbey was in London during the Blitz and until 1943. While in London, Mr. Abbey never went to a bomb shelter, preferring to take his chances in his apartment where he was more comfortable. This was a very busy time. He first served under Ambassador Joseph Kennedy. In that time, he became friendly with the Kennedy children, and evidently was instrumental in assisting one of the daughters in her marriage to a British officer. Also during that time Joe Kennedy ordered Mr. Abbey to do something which Mr. Abbey thought was not correct, and upon being threatened with discharge or efforts to obtain his discharge, Mr. Abbey finally told Joe Kennedy that he would do what Mr. Kennedy ordered him to do if Mr. Kennedy would put it in writing, but Mr. Kennedy never would do that. In 1943 Glenn Abbey was ordered to New Delhi, India where he served for one year. Apparently the people in the consulate there or mission, whatever they had in New Delhi at the time, died or retired, and Glenn was sent there principally to reorganize the mission. He was very impressed by how many people there were in India at the time. Of course, Mr. Glenn Abbey, in his position as a Foreign Service office and a bachelor, was constantly being invited and giving parties in order to meet the people. And, of course, he met all of the top people almost everywhere. In 1944 he was sent into Burma to help set up the consulate there and we have a silver washed and hammered bowl given to him in memory of the deep affection that the Burmese people have for the Americans. Albert McNeel tried to give this bowl to the State Department, but they advised that they had too many artifacts already, and that at the present time, the relationship with the country that was Burma is so bad that there was nothing that they would be able to do with the bowl that would help anything. The bowl is probably brass, bronze or copper and then washed in silver. It is very pretty and about 10" in diameter and about 6" high and not heavy. In any event, from Burma Mr. Abbey was sent into Japan with General MacArthur in order to set up the consulate there. Glenn may have been given a rank of Brigadier General because in order to deal with the Japanese it was necessary to have an army rank. A picture shows him at his desk in Tokyo. After Japan, Mr. Abbey was sent to Indonesia to try to discover who and where the government of Indonesia was. It was fairly perilous duty, but he managed to have a good time and meet a lot of Indonesian people that were part Dutch and part native Indonesian.

Appointment to Foreign Service Officer of Class Five, effective October 20, 1942, signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt and Secretary of State Cordell Hull on November 21, 1942

Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt walking from the plane that carried her from the United States to England. Picture taken at Whitechurch Airdrome, five miles from Bristol, England, October 23, 1942. Shown: Unknown Woman, Glenn A. Abbey, Eleanor Roosevelt, W. Averell Harriman. Photo by U. S. Army Signal Corps.

Alfred Ashman's West Point Military Academy Cadet Picture.

The Post-Crescent, Appleton, Outagamie Co., WI, Thursday, January 31, 1946 

Glenn Abbey, brother of two Waupaca residents and frequent visitor to the city, was named a member of the American mission at New Delhi, India. Abbey was former consul general in London. His sisters were Mrs. Maude Stratman and Mrs. Almo Larson.


In April, 1947, Glenn Allan Abbey was visited in Tokyo, Japan, by a very distant cousin, Julia (Abbey) Ashman (1918 - 1985). Alfred Ashman and Julia Abbey were married January, 1937, in San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX. Alfred Ashman, Julia's husband, was a 1935 graduate of West Point Military Academy, and was a logistics officer on the staff of General Douglas MacArthur in Tokyo, Japan, from 1945 to 1948. Alfred died in 1971 in San Antonio, TX, at age 59. These three pictures were provided by Margaret Abbey "Mollie" (Ashman) Shannon, the daughter of Alfred Ashman and Julia (Abbey) Ashman.

The Sheboygan Press, Sheboygan, Sheboygan Co., WI, Wednesday, August 20, 1947

Service Change Is Announced Today

Washington - AP - Service changes announced today by the state department include Glenn A. Abbey, Dodgeville, Wis., from Tokyo to Batavia, Java, as counsel.

From Indonesia, Mr. Abbey was transferred in 1948 to Salonica, Greece, as the Consul General. He served in Salonica until 1950 when he was sent as Deputy Chief of Mission to Saudi Arabia. He had many interesting experiences both in Greece and in Saudi Arabia. In 1952 or 1953 Mr. Abbey had several stomach infections, which would come and go, and he was sent back to Walter Reed Hospital for treatment. Finally in 1954 he was retired at the age of 56 for medical reasons.

After retirement, Glenn Abbey came to San Antonio and visited for a little while on his way to Mexico City. Two of his very closest friends had been George and Marion Messersmith. George Messersmith had just retired as the Ambassador to Mexico and was at the time the president of a big utility company called Mexlight. George Messersmith had been the Consul General in Berlin in the early 30's during the rise of Hitler, and later was the Minister to Austria at the time that the Austrian Prime Minister Dolphos was killed. After that time Mr. Messersmith was a very senior person at the State Department in Washington, and later was Ambassador to Argentina, and then to Mexico. Mr. and Mrs. Messersmith had no children, and they were about 20 years older than Glenn Abbey, and they had a very close relationship with him. Mr. Messersmith died before Glenn Abbey did, but Mrs. Messersmith survived him.

At first Mr. Abbey lived in Mexico City on a temporary visa but later he obtained permanent resident status as a "rentista". In Mexico City Glenn Abbey had a cook and a maid and had a very comfortable life similar to that which he was used to in the Foreign Service because he had mostly spent his time out of the United States and in a foreign country. There is a large Anglo-American colony in Mexico City, and Glenn Abbey still knew many people in the Foreign Service. The Ambassador to Mexico, at the time that Glenn Abbey moved there in 1955, had served under him in India. Glenn Abbey would write two, three or four letters every day to his friends in the Foreign Service all over the world, and kept in close touch with them. In a way, they were part of his family, and he was acquainted with their marital lives, their children, and their job experiences. Glenn Abbey was a great reader of history, he was very knowledgeable about music and art, and he could play bridge as well as any of the professional bridge players. He always played for money if it was appropriate, but he would never play for much money. Glenn Abbey really had a good time in Mexico and lived very comfortably. At the time of the Suez crisis, he was recalled to Washington in order to be debriefed about certain persons that he had met in Greece and in Saudi Arabia. Whatever country Glenn Abbey went to, he began learning the language of the country, having the habit of attempting to learn twelve new words every day on his morning walk. He was fluent in Spanish, and was fairly fluent in Greek, at least to the extent that he could speak with some local restaurant owners of Greek ascendancy who spoke Greek. Part of his job as a Foreign Service officer was to get to know everybody that he could and to observe everything about a country. Accordingly, he was a very interesting person to be with and talk to. In his job, Mr. Abbey was required to go to many parties & to have a drink of liquor at each one. He could drink a lot of liquor, and Albert McNeel never saw him stagger or stammer. One evening he came by the McNeel house for dinner in San Antonio, having had about five martinis before he got there, and you could not tell it. He sat and visited and drank whiskey until about 2:00 a.m. By 2:00 a.m. he was fairly tired, but he never let down his guard in any way. As the evening wore on, he would always have a "half" of a drink. The McNeels visited him in Mexico City each year after he moved there until his death, and discovered that he always took a nap after lunch for about 3 hours. This is one reason that he could stay up until 2:00 a.m. or 3:00 a.m. without showing much fatigue.

He was on a trip back to Washington in 1949 or 1950 while June was at Sweetbriar, and it was arranged that she would go to Washington and meet him there. When she got off the train he met her and took her to the home of Wally Simpson's aunt, Aunt Bessie. Wally Simpson's aunt held a court almost every day, and Glenn was sought after as an entertaining and knowledgeable person who was very charming and who could play bridge very well. In any event, June was very impressed at being at one of the very great social places in Washington at the time. Of course, at the time Wally Simpson was married to the Duke of Windsor, but she was not there. Glenn Abbey in his Will left all of his property in Mexico to June, but he left a handwritten list with Albert McNeel giving certain things to certain people, including a set of silver sent to Mr. Wilbur Larson and another set to Robert Anderson, and a lot of silver trays.

Glenn Abbey never had anything to begin with but he was thrifty, in spite of the demands made upon him to give parties, and over the years beginning with World War II he put aside money with Washington Mutual and Massachusetts Mutual stock funds. At the time of his death he had accumulated quite a nice estate. His Will was written by Atty. Albert McNeel, and was in charge of its administration. A trust was established at the Frost National Bank in San Antonio, TX for the benefit of his five surviving brothers and sisters (Charles T. Abbey; Iva May Mayfield; Mary Maude Stratman; Emma Jane Larson; Edna Blake Anderson). Upon the death of any trust beneficiary the 1/5 principal and accumulated interest was to be divided evenly between Robert E. Anderson, Wilbur A. Larson, Ruth Anderson Borst and Mary Louise Anderson Skeels. The last trust payout was completed in 1986.

The following was reprinted from Who Was Who in America, Volume IV, 1961 - 1968. Chicago: Marquis Who's Who, 1968.

ABBEY, Glenn Allan, foreign service officer; born in Dodgeville, WI, June 11, 1898; son of William Sorrell and Ida Blake. B.S., Georgetown University, 1925; postgraduate University of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1929-1930. Unmarried. Instructor at Devitt Preparatory School, Washington, DC 1924-1925. Secretary to American High Command to Haiti, 1925-1927. Appointed foreign service officer, U.S. Dept. of State in 1927. Vice Consul Johannesburg, Union of South Africa, 1928-1931. Served as 3rd Secretary in Managua, Nicaragua, 1931-1932. Served as 3rd Secretary in Caracas, Venezuela 1931-1932. Serves as 2nd Secretary in La Asuncion, Paraguay, 1936-1937. Served as Assistant Delegate to Chaco Peace Conference in Buenos Aires, Argentina, 1938. Served with the Department of State 1938-1941. Served as 2nd Secretary, American Embassy, London, England 1941-1944. Served as Secretary of the American Mission in New Delhi, India 1944-1945. Was Officer-in-Charge in Rangoon, Burma, 1945-1946. Served as Secretary General for the Allied Council in Tokyo, Japan, 1946-1947. Was Consul and Delegate on Good Offices Commission of United Nations in Djakarta, Indonesia in 1947-1949. Was Consul General in Salonika, Greece, 1949-1951, and also at Sa'ana, 1951. Was Counsellor of Embassy and Deputy Chief of Mission, American Embassy, Jidda, Saudi Arabia, 1951-1953 and at Quito, Ecuador 1953-1954. He served in the U.S. Army 1918-1919. Clubs he belonged to were: Army and Navy (Washington, DC); Imperial Delhi Gymkhama (New Delhi, India). His home was Dodgeville, WI. Died January 28, 1962; buried in Mission Burial Park, San Antonio, TX. 

Shown here is the passenger list for a ship arriving in 1949 from Hong Kong to San Francisco.

    JPG_Abbey_Anderson.jpg (89467 bytes)

Abbey Picnic at the Anderson's Lake Cottage on Elk Creek Lake, Town of Spring Brook, Dunn Co., WI, about 1951.

        JPG_Abbey_Anderson3.jpg (139518 bytes)

Abbey Picnic at the Anderson's Lake Cottage on Elk Creek Lake, Town of Spring Brook, Dunn Co., WI, about 1951.

    JPG_Abbey_Anderson2.jpg (114809 bytes)

Abbey Picnic at the Anderson's Lake Cottage on Elk Creek Lake, Town of Spring Brook, Dunn Co., WI, about 1951.

Glenn Abbey, Adlai Stevenson and Ray Hall?, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, May, 1953.

Glenn Allan Abbey letter to Mr. and Mrs. Almo J. Larson, September 5, 1961.

Glenn Allan Abbey died January 28, 1962, at the Santa Rosa Medical Center, 923 Cambridge Oval, Alamo Twp., San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX, at age 63. Buried in Mission Burial Park, San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX. 

Glenn Allan Abbey Death Record.

San Antonio Express, San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX, Tuesday, January 30, 1962

Foreign Service Veteran Dies

Glenn Allan Abbey, 63, a longtime member of the U. S. Foreign Service, died Sunday at a local hospital. Abbey, 63, served as Consul General in Salomka, Greece; Secretary of the American Mission in New Delhi, India; Officer-In-Charge of the American Embassy in Rangoon, Burma; Consul of the Good Offices Commission of the United Nations in Indonesia; Counselor of the American Embassy in Jidda, Saudi Arabia, and as Secretary General of the Allied Council in Tokyo, Japan, during a career that extended from 1927 to his retirement in 1953. He was a native of Dodgeville, Wis. Survivors include a brother, T. C. Abbey of San Antonio, and four sisters, Mrs. Elmo Larson of Waupaca, Wis., Mrs. Louis Anderson of Eau Claire, Wis., Mrs. George Stratman of Waupaca, Wis., and Mrs. Cyrus Mayfield of Dodgeville, Wis. Funeral services will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at Porter Loring Chapel with burial in Mission Burial Park.

San Antonio Light, San Antonio, Bexar Co., TX, Tuesday, January 30, 1962

Diplomat Dead in S. A.

Glenn Allan Abbey, 63, of 923 Cambridge Oval, a retired State Department official, died Sunday. Abbey, a native of Dodgeville, Wis., had lived in San Antonio seven years. Funeral services were held at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the Porter Loring chapel and interment was in Mission Park. Survivors include a brother, T. C. Abbey, San Antonio; four sisters, Mrs. Elmo Larson, Waupaca, Wis.; Mrs. Louis Anderson, Eau Claire, Wis.; Mrs. George Stratman, Waupaca, Wis.; and Mrs. Cyrus Mayfield, Dodgeville, Wis. Abbey was appointed to the foreign service in 1927 and retired in 1953 as counselor of embassy and deputy chief of mission, American embassy, Jidda, Saudi Arabia.


Albert Maverick McNeel Jr. Cover Letter in 2001, and Glenn Allan Abbey's Last Will and Testament, and Final Estate Valuation.


Atty. Albert Maverick McNeel Jr. Letter to Wilbur Almo Larson, May 25, 1962.